Do you feel uncomfortable when a bunch of men come to fix something in your home when your there by yourself?

I live with my mom and my little sister so I really do specially when Im at home by myself and alot of men come into my house. I am 5 months pregnant and this is scary to me because I cant understand what they are saying most of the time and when they talk they look at me and laugh or look me up and down. It makes me uncomfortable and terrifies me. I really do NOT mean to offend anyone with this I just worry I might be over reacting or I am just being safe. Am I alone in this feeling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sadly,the world we live in today, your fears and uncomfortableness are totally understandable. So much meaness in this world,you just cannot be too careful or cautious. If at all possible, try to have a neighbor or friend there with you, so you don't feel so alone. I do feel that way,also, and try to always have my Mom or my daughter here with me when they come.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I absolutely hate opening my door to a strange man. Landlord sends people over here to fix something and never tells us they are coming. I ask for ID and once made the guy walk around the house to the garage where he needed to be instead of coming thru my house, He was a huge guy!!
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Why can't you understand them? Are they speaking some other language in your presence? If they are repairmen, they have no business acting like that. I would call their employer and complain about that behavior.

I never open my door when I'm home alone. If a repair needs done, I try to have my husband home for that time.

I understand what you mean about being scared and uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• well i dont have a hubby so its kinda worse for me
    Anonymous

• Yes because I feel more vulnerable, nothing personal against the men though!
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Doesn't really bother me when repair men come over, but I don't worry too much. I actually probably need to worry more, I under-worry. Since its just me and my son in the apartment he's always there with me and I just know its not very probable someone is going to take advantage of me at 1 in the afternoon with paper thin walls and a 3 year old running around. I know it could happen, I just don't think its likely. But, like I said, even my mother has told me I'm sometimes a little too daring and need to pay attention more, so I could just be under-worrying if that makes any sense. However, if I were pregnant and they were laughing at me, you bet your ass I'd be calling to complain and raising hell, I just wouldn't sit back and let that happen. It's rude and unprofessional.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I was a single mom of three when I bought my house, and it needed a lot of work, so I had teams of contractors in and out of the house for months. As long as you know they are coming and they are legit, it's really as close to perfectly safe as you can get. They aren't going to try anything improper because a) it is their job on the line and b) there is documentation that they are there, there's no alibi. Now if some dude showed up claiming to be working on something on the house and I hadn't set this up, no way would I let them in.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Funny story, about 10 yrs ago my 1st husband and I put a roof on our house. He worked 2nd shift and we were expecting the supply company to deliver the materials. I remember being sooo mad at him because he left for work and I had to go out and sign for it. Turns out the guy who delivered the load was a guy that my DH and I knew from high school. At first I didn't remember him, but as he talked things started to come together in my memory. I got divorced about 3 yrs later. My son then 14 had a best friend who it turns out was the brother of the man who delivered the shingles. I ran into him when I was picking up my son from his friends house one 4th of July weekend. I did not put two and two together. When we got home my sons friend called to tell him that his brother heard I was divorced and wanted my number....we have been together 8 yrs and have 2 sons lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• YES! I hold my daughter close and sit on the couch. I don't move until they leave. Aaaack.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I don't think u r alone at all, even when I understand them I get like that. I think it's about being safe 100%.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 3:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009