walking on her tiptoes

My 7 year old has always walked on her tiptoes. I am worried that it may cause problems with her feet and legs later on in her life. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to break this habit?

Jessaroo1987

Asked by Jessaroo1987 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you talked to her Pediatrician about it? She may need special shoes.
    Anonymous

• Why have you not discussed this with your pediatrician yet?!

She COULD have a sensory or neurological problem! In addition to that, her calf muscles (back of lower leg) could shorten, lose elasticity and become less functional, while jer foot muscles will grow and develop incorrectly, not to mention her posture!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• well she is my step daughter. ive only known her about 2 years. her mom is kind of sorry. but thats a different story.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I have experienced this with my son, now 11. When he was little he walked on his tiptoes. His doctors used to say "Oh he will outgrow it." FOR YEARS I have told people something isn't right.
    Finally, last year I discovered my son COULD NOT put his feet down and together. He could NOT stand straight without falling over. We took him to a phsyiatrist and he said that my son needed botox injections, serial casting and braces. He had botox injections in both calves. He was in casting for six weeks. (Changing casts every week to stretch his calves and tendons) and he was in braces for six weeks. Add another year of physical and occupational therapy to relearn how to walk and change his center of gravit.y
    His therapists are great and he is doing things now he couldn't do before. IM me if you want more info.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2009