What do I do???

I need some advice: I work full time, and am gone all day. I have a 13 year old at home. She is not perfect by any means, but she is a good kid. I hate keeping her inside all day during the summer. I also hate the idea of her walking to her friends' house, by herself, without me home. Her friends' parent work also.

She has a cell (for this reason), and she knows what to do if she is being followed (go to the nearest store and wait it out). She is very street smart, she knows her way around town. However, I worry sooo much.

And to top it off, a ten year old girl went missing in a near by county, while walking home from a friends house. When do you suck up the worry and let them go. And when do you keep them locked up?

mommyaunt412

Asked by mommyaunt412 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• At that age, it definitely would hard to keep them inside. If she has to walk by herself, make sure it's in broad daylight- never twilight or darkness. I think if it's possible, get her to take a self-defense class. That might help put you at ease.
    Anonymous

• Is there any recreational centers around you that maby she could go to when your at work? Or maby a relative who she could stay with while your at work? And I tell my kids if somebody is following them than they are to go up to the nearest house like it is theirs and call me immediately or if it is that serious than to call 911! Maby when she walks to her friends house her friend could meet her half way. I freak out about that stuff and I also have 4 girls that stick together and I am always reminding them when they go anywhere ( which is not far) to have their phone and to call me when they get to where they are going and what to do in an emergency! Even if you are a work tell her to text you and let you know when she leaves to go to her friends house and text you again when she gets there! Good luck

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Well, if she wants to go somewhere why don't you just have her call you or the friend she is going to see while she is walking there so that way she is always talking to someone while she is out walking by herself.
    gurliegal86

Answer by gurliegal86 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Why is she sitting home this summer?

I have a 13 year old daughter. She had a week of HS orientation. She is a Red Cross certified babysitter and sits regularly for 4 families. She is volunteering at a day camp for four weeks and going to overnight camp (two scholarships) for four weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You live in Washington state, don't you OP? I live in King County, and if you're talking about the McCleary girl I know what you're talking about. But she walked home ALONE at 9PM. She's 10. I personally would've given her a ride home with it being so late. Don't lock your DD up in the house, just make sure to call and check up on her every work break or so.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• If you're not comfortable with your daughter walking, what about biking? It's easier to get away from perps and good exercise.

At age 13, I think she's old enough/street smart enough to be able to walk certain distances alone during the day.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I am sorry, but I don't think this day and age it is ever time to suck up the worry and let them walk alone. I am not willing to take the chance of my DD's coming up missing. Safety in numbers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• you shouldnt really keep them locked up, but at the same time, it would be horrible if something happened to her. i think you should by her a bottle of pepper spray or a pocket knife. i know it sounds wierd but hey .. i moved to florida by myself when i was 19 and when i used to go out to the clubs and etc, and i would be walking back to my car by myself, in the middle of a big florida city, i always had my pocket knife ready in my hand just incase. but for a 13 yr old, i think your better off with pepper spray. they sell them on key chains. because its not right to keep her locked up. she needs to enjoy her life. you cant be scared to live. when i was 12, i walked all around the town by myself and with my friends.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009