Giving up the paci!

My daughter turned two on the 20th and still has a paci. She only has it at naptime at the sitter's. We are trying to get to only having it at naptime and bedtime at home but that hasn't been mastered yet (my fault). Anyway, how did you break your child of the pacifier? What works the best? I have heard several different ways but I wanted to see how most of you did it. Thanks for the input!

mommylove620

Asked by mommylove620 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't worry about it too much. We finally told my son he could trade his "Binky" for any toy he wanted. He got a Nintendo 64.........LOL...........he was 4 1/2. Now 13, he has no permanent physical or emotional scars.

If it comforts her and she only uses it while sleeping.......and it isn't affecting her teeth......I wouldn't worry about trying to get rid of it.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• When our son was an infant and using the paci, I saw other posts like yours and decided to follow the advice in Baby 411 to just take it away cold turkey by six months. The first day and night were bad, but within a few days he was fine.

Because your dd is much older, I would try this idea...cut the tip of the paci so it doesn't suck well.
    Anonymous

• Ok, my daughter had her binky until she was 4. I know people freak out about that, but it is what it is. For quite a while, she was only allowed to have it at nap time and bed time only and we were very strict about those rules. If during the day she wanted it, she could, but she had to go sit in her bed by herself to have it. That was VERY rare. We finally decided to take it away once and for all on her 4th birthday, we told her big girls don't use binkies and that when she turned 4 we would be giving it to a friend's baby that she loves... we kept prepping her for it so she clearly understood what would happen... then she handed it over on her birthday morning and that was that. She asked for it a few times, no big deal. Sometimes she'd get sad and say she missed her binky, so we'd talk about it for a few minutes, but it wasn't 1/8 as bad as I thought it would be....Cont...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Now, I think we were so successful because we could have full conversations about it and she understood. My son is 2 now and although he never liked a binky, if I had to take it away from him at this age I think it would be a nightmare because he wouldn't understand.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry but 4 with a pacifier? That's just insane
    Anonymous