What are your "I'm POOR" meals?

We have been doing beans once or twice a week. I made homemade baked beans and cornbread last night and we are having red beans and rice this week also.
I am thinking of making soup tonight. What do you do (homemade if possible?) I know about ramen and such we do that too, but homemade makes you feel better when you are poor. (KWIM?)

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• cereal and peanut butter sandwiches
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I love Hurst's soups. Hambeen 15 bean soup is great. So is their split pea soup.
    Anonymous

• sorry no homemade ideas. we do hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, or cheap frozen pizza's when we're tight on cash.
    Anonymous

• chicken soup, homemade : chicken water let it boil and add some onions, after the chicken is cooked skim the fat off the top, add whatever veggies you like let them cook and get all good and mushy, throw some noodles in and call it a day, season with whatever you like. thats what i do and my family loves it. also, ground meat browned, beef flavored rice cooked, onions cooked, mix it all together and youve got a yummy meal, and something my mom calls dog food, its like chili and noodles. but better ill call her when she gets off work and find out what exactly it is, its sooooo good, now i want some. mmmmm....
    Anonymous

• I'm making chicken soup with rice for dinner tonight. :) I think I will make biscuits too.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• or noodles, steaks cut into thin strips seasoned with garlic salt and pepper, cooked, add to the noodles and pour gravy in stir together, thats yummy too and add some green bell peppers let them cook all together for a min or two and its good to go, its yummy too.
    Anonymous

• make tuna salad and grill it like you would salmon patties and top it off with BBQ.. it is so good..
    cut some patatoes up and put cheese on them and put it in the oven and then top off with chili... its like chili cheese fries but nothing is fried and i think it taste a little bit better...
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 2:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Black beans and white rice, baby! That's our staple if we're poor. That, or spaghetti.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My mom used to make pancakes. And sometimes she'd make polenta, which is really cheap when made from regular cornmeal and then served with spaghetti sauce.

Omelettes are cheap. Potato soup, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• dollar tree it up.. they have small dinners, chips, snacks, cookies, thats what i do.. i go in and spend what i call a small fortun(30.00) and eat for a month..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2009