Sippy cups vs bottles

I know it's the age old question about switching from the bottle to the sippy cups but here goes. My DD is almost a year and I am trying to start thinking about weaning her off formula. Our ped. told us not to put juice in her bottle but does that include milk once she has been weaned? The other thing is that we have tried several different types off sippy cups and she doesn't drink out of the ones that have a hard spout but she was doing pretty good with the ones that have a soft spout. Now she's started using straws and now almost drowns herself with a sippy cup. I'm not ready for her to go to a regular cup mainly because she hasn't gotten the tilting motion down yet (she loves the sippy cups with the flexible straws because she doesn't have to tip it back). Any ideas?

pcmomga

Asked by pcmomga at 2:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is totally off bottles now and only uses sippy cups. I did just what you are doing. I started with the soft spout and progressively worked towards harder and harder spouts. He will now drink from a take n toss sippy no problem.

I would stay away from straws because the whole point of switching from bottles to sippy cups is to learn to tip the cup. But thats just me!
    Good Luck!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• And that's what I thought...but my husband went out of town with her (and introduced her to them because her sippy cups were at home)\. She seems to do so well with them...I haven't stopped her. I guess I should though.
    pcmomga

Answer by pcmomga at 2:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My son never really used a sippy because he would never tip it up and just got frustrated. He went from a bottle to a straw (and tries to tip the straw cup, go figure), and he's 2 now and does just fine out of a regular cup, hardly spills at all (I won't let him have one to carry around the house, but sitting in the kitchen where it's easy to clean, lol). As for whether to put milk in a bottle, that's another personal preference. The pedi probably meant just juice shouldn't go in a bottle and milk is fine. I would never put anything other than formula in my son's bottle which made it easier to wean him off both at the same time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009