Ups and downs of IUDs

i'm thinking about getting an IUD. those of you who have them- what did you like and dislike?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 2:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Health

• I have the Mirena IUD and love it. I haven't had any issues (insertion wasn't pain free though). I no longer have period, no cramps, bloating, etc. This is the first birth control I have ever been on that hasn't made me gain weight. I've actually lost almost 20 lbs on it so far.

Good luck in whatever you decide, just make sure to do your homework ahead of time. And hopefully you have good insurance because the Mirena isn't cheap.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I had a Mirena for two years and loved it. I never had a regular cycle-would go months without a period then have one for months. When I did have a cycle, it was painful. After getting the Mirena my periods stopped, I didn't have cramps and it didn't hurt to be put in. I had to have a hystorectomy recently so it's gone, but I have recommended it to my friends.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• There is not a single thing I dislike about mine! But, my DH has 1 he doesn't like...the strings poke him and hurt him sometimes when we are having sex. They are kind of like wires. But, I love it. I don't have to worry about a pill or period and have had no side effects.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• it hurts to get it... my midwife was like its not as bad as giving birth but i had my son came really earily so i had a c section so i only got to 3 cm thats it haha... i havnt had my too long so idk... my sister in law has one and she hasnt had any wrong with hers.... they said that u should bleed aalot when they put it in but i didnt bleed too much after this time... (the first time they tryed to put it in ther couldnt get it up as far as they needed it to be so i couldnt get at that time, but i bleed so much) mmm my friend got hers at her 6 week app. and it came out 3days after she got it
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• i ahte mine! i love the fact i dont ahve to take the pill but thats it!

i hat it put in rearly october... and i bleed for about 3 months, then stopped for about 2 and have been bleeding since then, not alwasy fresh blood like a period sometimes jsut a muscasy brownish dishcarge< TMI SORRY> if i could afford the cost of removing it i would
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I've had the paraguard twice, loved it both times. Good, effective, long term birth control with no pills to remember or mess from barrier methods. My only side effect was heavier periods. I found insertion and removal to be uncomfortable but not painful.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I HATED mine. I had it in for 1 year and finally decided I couldn't take it anymore and I was never going to "adjust" to it. I had crazy mood swings, felt depressed at times for no reason, had serious fatigue, no sex drive, nervousness among other issues. When I went to get it out my doc said he couldn't say for sure that's what was causing my symptoms but 2 weeks later I was back to normal. None of those things are listed as side-effects but do a google search, "Mirena+fatigue" for example and you'll see it's actually pretty common to experience things like that. I have had friends that had no issues, and the copper IUD may be different, but I HATED my Mirena and will never get another one.
    Anonymous

• Why not get a diaphram instead? It has no side effects, it is hormone free, it does not have a history of infertility and class action lawsuits, and it is instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2009