• In the Spotlight:

How can I help her learn to crawl??

First off, I should mention that she HATES tummy time. She's 6 months old, and she can roll over both ways, and she pushes herself up. But anytime I try to do tummytime with her, she spits up (no matter how long its been since she ate), and she'll start crying after a few minutes in the floor. I know walkers help develop NO skills at all, but it is the ONLY thing she likes to do. And she can only walk backwards in it. Help! What should she be able to do at 6 months?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 2:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok my daughter had the same problem and she would throw a fit and make herself throwup too.. what i did was suck it up and have tough love. i would put her on all fours and rock her back and forth and then once in awhile manually move her arms and legs for her. She would get upset and make herself sick.. but i just stuck with it and after a week she was crawling!
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 2:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• 1. I think that 6 months is still considered early for crawling. So no need to worry yet.
    2. Mine hated tummy time too, but he still learned to crawl at nine months and is working on walking.
    3. Instead of walker why not just allow her to play on the floor and practice sitting up?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• She's only 6 months old, so she's with in normal development for her age. I do disagree that walkers dont help them develop skills simply because I have seen it work with both of my kids. Don't push her, she'll do it when she's ready.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Hm, not a bad idea. She can already hold herself up sitting though.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• tummy time doesn't need to be forced and some babies never crawl...I didn't think mine would. she crawled for the first time when she turned 9 months old....crawling is not considered a milestone....But you do not NEED to force tummy time...just let her be. and don't force a baby to crawl.....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• **ok my daughter had the same problem and she would throw a fit and make herself throwup too.. what i did was suck it up and have tough love. i would put her on all fours and rock her back and forth and then once in awhile manually move her arms and legs for her. She would get upset and make herself sick.. but i just stuck with it and after a week she was crawling! **

why on earth is it that important that you would let her get THAT upset!! Geez!!!
    Anonymous

• This sounds EXACTLY like my DD at 6 months. She hated tummy time and would hardly ever roll over, but within 2 days right before she turned 8 months, she rolled over and started crawling on her own. So don't worry about it, 6 months is still young to be crawling anyways. I think the average is 8 or 9 months anyways and all babies develop differently. My DD still only walks backwards in her walker and I have heard too its bad for her, so I'll only put her in it on carpet so she can't move it and just give her snacks in her tray.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My son's almost 7 months old and not crawling yet, but I'm not worried. The fact they your baby can sit upright is a very good sign that she'll be crawling soon. Soon as in within a month probably.

What a lot of babies do is go from sitting to their tummies after they feel comfortable enough with sitting up and that's when they start rocking back and forth. Then they crawl. :] Don't force tummy time if she hates it that much. If toys, treats, and mommy and daddy don't make her feel any better about being on her tummy, then that's fine. She doesn't have to like it. Maybe she'll just start walking instead.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Oi, this is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. Joss turned six months old on the 26th. She's just now sitting up on her own, which is a HUGE deal in itself. She's up on all fours, but it hurts her knees after awhile. She rocks back and forth but then she faceplants onto the floor when she moves forward. How often do you let your baby sit in the walker? Joss loves her walker, she started out going only backwards. It took about a week for her to get the hang of it, but once she did, oh boy...now she goes everywhere we do.

I'd kinda like for her to be crawling now, but like everyone else said, six months is just the starting point for crawling. Some babies never crawl. I know how maddening it is to watch your kid try so hard and not be able to do it though >.<'
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• get on the floor with her
    put some toys or something she will want out of reach and play with her
    you reach for them, she reaches for them
    you push yourself up and "crawl" show her, she will start to do the same
    probably not the very first time
    but she will get the idea and start to do it too
    she might need to be burped before getting put on her belly... she could have a bubble that is preventing the food from going all the way down and its uncomfortable for her to lay on her belly and then the bubble pops and the food comes up. ie spit up.
    she wont want to be on the floor where she cant see you if you arent on the floor too.
    these are just ideas, maybe you have already done these and they havent worked. she is only six months. dont push her to do things, she will do them when she is ready. enjoy your time now before you know it she will be up walking around getting into everything :)
    have fun good luck
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009