what can i do to help my best friend through this?

my best friend and i haven't been hanging out as much since we've started our families, but have stayed in touch and still think of each other as best friends. her husband has been a struggling drug addict since the start and her efforts to help him have been futile. he's cheated on her & she has forgiven him at least twice. they have 2 beautiful kids & shes been trying to keep him right for their sake, but its not working. today she told me he hasnt been home in a week & hes been staying with another woman hiding from her. i want her to find a way to be happy again. i'm going to see her later but have no experience with cheaters so i don't know what to say to her except for her to leave him cuz he's no good for her anymore. what kind of help, advice, etc should i offer to help her through this. i know she's hurting and i don't want her to be alone in this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Honestly, I think you should be truthful but supportive. i.e. "He is no go for you and I think you deserve better. But I will always support you and love you no matter what you decide."

That way you don't alienate her and she will come to you for help when she finally wises up and leaves him for good.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Honey there's not much you can do for her besides be there for her and listen. You can tell her that she needs to move on but she will not go until shes ready! I have a friend that was in a situation like that and it took her 3 years before she finally left, I just stood by her side and told her what I thought and gave her a shoulder to cry on.Just be there for her and keep telling her that you are there for her and that she and her kids don't deserve to be treated that way.

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I agree with the above. You can tell her it's time to leave him and move on. He's not coming home and she deserves way better. But if for some reason she can't bring herself to do that just yet. Just be her friend and listen.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 4:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009