Cookout/ Reception get-together on the 11th... I need some ideas please!!

So we just moved to Kansas about 2 months ago b/c of the Army. So far we've been invited to multiple of his Army buddies get togethers by the lake and I've been out to lunch a few times with some of the girls I work with. So we wanted to put on a cookout and so he can meet my friends and I can meet more of the soldiers he works with and their wives.

Me and Daniel are also getting married this week - court wedding for now, the wedding will be later in FL- So we also wanted to turn it into a reception kinda thing, but without the whole formalities and sit down dinner and everything.

Besides just the usual hot dogs and hamburgers what other dishes would be cheap but fun to prepare?? I love to cook and love to show my artistic side in whatever I make.

Also any ideas on decorations, games, or anything else would be amazing!

SouthernRoses

Asked by SouthernRoses at 2:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• potatoe salad, deviled eggs, pasta salad, fruit salad (can you tell i like to make just a bunch of salad type dishes, they are easier to serve and make in bulk) chicken breasts, pulled pork
    as far as games, maybe put up a volleyball net, set out a few horseshoe games and have a few decks of cards. decorations, depends on if you want to go more "bbq" or wedding.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Kabobs are easy to make ahead, and they'll make a pack of chicken breasts strrrrretch.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• grill pork chops and steaks< if you buy in bulk they are super cheap> we put cut up potatoes in aluminum foil on the fgrill with butter and seasioniongs. YUMMY!

carve a watermelon into a basket and fill with fruit, make a cake shaped like a < whatever you want>

grilled bananas are yummy too
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Potato and pasta salads are always better is they have 24 hours to chill first. Have a nice sheet cake made at a bakery/grocery store, chips and salsa, 7 layer dips things like that are simple. Somehow we got in the habit years ago when we had summer BBQ's I always made a big pot of spaghetti too, a salad and a loaf of bread. Lots of times the guys would eat a burger and spaghetti...some ate just one or the other.
    Silly games are a dime a dozen...2 teams, some baslloons..pass the balloon down the line last one has to pop it. Egg toss, egg carry ojn a spoon relay....about a thousand more. You don't really need games though. Good food, good friends, good music, alcohol in moderation so nobody winds up really hammered..=great time for all
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Potato and pasta salad. Fruit salad, veggie tray with dip. Chips and dip or salsa. Cole slaw, deviled eggs, cake or cupcakes. Baked beans. Lettuce salad. If you would like some recipes for pasta salad, let me know and I will send you a couple I make.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• these all sound really good!!!
    i'm thinking of doing some ribs b/c the butcher has them on sale pretty cheap right now!
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 4:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2009