Has anyone ever dyed clothing a different color with Rit?

i have a white cotton jacket from Old Navy that i wore once, got dirty (obviously) and tried to bleach. Now, you can see the bleach stains on the white coat. So, i'm thinking of trying to dye it black (I might get better use out of it if i weren't so worried about getting it dirty)! Any suggestions?

christinek_00

Asked by christinek_00 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I died white curtains red with Rit dye, it worked fine....My only concern would be that where it has bleach stains that it would be a different shade of black, and would still be splotchy.

Did you pour the bleach right on the jacket or just put some in the washer with it? If not, try putting the jacket in the washer with a good bit of bleach.

Bleaching can cause things to get holes though if you do it too much.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I grew up in the 70's most of my art projects in elementry school was tie dying fabrics with rit..lol.

If you do dye the fabric, like the previous poster said I would be concerned about the bleach stains and the dye being even. If you use your washer to do the dying make sure you scrub the machine and run a couple times to make sure you got all the dye out.

Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• I tried to dye all my whites back white with it, it didnt do much.. Good luck..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You may try a paler color, like yellow. It takes a lot of dye to get things black. I had a red blazer I got a black spot on. I tried dying it black, and it turned this weird purple/maroon color. It looked pretty cool, so I wore it for quite a few years like that! LOL

If it's still spotted after the initial dye, ask yourself if it would look good tie-dyed. I tie-dyed a bunch of my kids spotted t-shirts and they came out really neat; the kids love them and wear them all the time.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2009