Any cute ideas- My sister just found out she is preggo with #2 so wondering if anyone has any cute ideas for a small congrats gift (book, big brother or sister item, etc.) that you would recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• We got our kids big brother/sister shirts and then had the nurse stamp them with the babies foot prints once born. They also sell pregnancy journal where she can document her experiences.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Get her a book for her to share with her other child about becoming a big brother/sister. I like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Baby-New-Annie-Kubler/dp/0859539733/ref=pd_sim_b_3
    http://www.amazon.com/My-New-Baby/dp/0859539741/ref=pd_sim_b_1

One is about waiting for the baby to get there, the other one is about after the baby comes. They are "storyless" so she can explain their situation as she likes and can be used repeatedly. They are also board books, which can be great if her other child isn't very old. At $4 each on amazon.com, I'd get them both.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I got a book for the older ones to read about what was happening to mommy and the baby that is coming. I got mom a cute pair of booties from Roden Smith And a scrapbook style baby book.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I like the Dr. Suess book: Oh the places you will go. It is typically given on graduations but the thing is older siblings are graduating to being the baby to the big kid. So I suggest a big kid treasure box or keepsake box. I would explain to my toddler that you are such a big boy now and I want to remember the time when you were a baby. Then do a life review of his days with us and memorable moments. I would hold a "graduation" party and talk about all the big kid things he is now doing and things he will be doing very shortly (concentrating on the near future). This treasure box is a keep sake box but the ceremoney is also a closure for one era into another stage. Kids, and even adults, need smooth transitions. So this may be a fun and creative way to do it. Focus on him being a big kid instead of too much about the baby. That will come. Smooth, fluent, and ease into the transition. Party should be about a month
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• before baby is due.
    frogdawg

• For my best friend , when she was pregnant with her 4th boy, I made her a personalized scrapbook. Each page had something different in it. Example: One page was about her oldest 2 that are twins, the next page was for the 3rd boy, there were pics of mom to be, and of the dad, etc. Then, I decorated several pages for the new baby, but left places for her to write about the baby. Like, one page said " Here I AM..... and it's decorated with different things and has a spot for the new baby's pic to go. Then there's a page decorated with bubbles, rubber ducky, soap, etc. that says "bath time..." that she can put the new baby's bath pics in.
    She loved the gift and it was something that was completely unique to her and her family.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009