Poop!

My son is 19 - almost 20 months old - he's been grabbing his "area" through his diaper and saying Poop - and then sitting on the floor to poop - so we bought him a potty and the last weekend when he does it, we all run to the potty for him to sit on the potty ( with the diaper on ) and he grunts -never really pushing one out but making the attempt - I don't really feel he's READY to start like he doesn't tell me when he pee's, can't pull down his own pants, though I have started working on this but am I making it too much about positive attention or woudl this be wasted time and effort at this point to even have brought the potty out?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Feeling a bowel movement come on is way easier than feeling the need to pee. If he's recognizing it before he's actually doing it, why not put him on the potty without the diaper? I mean, he pretty much already knows what that feels like, right? I'd say put him on the potty when he says 'poop'. I think he'll "accidentally" pee sometimes too and he should get praise for that too. Sounds like he may be ready if he's announcing it. I don't know that he has to know how to pull his pants down on his own either. He'll need assistance going potty for awhile, so take it one step at a time. You're already doing well with him telling you what he's doing.
    xiemoon

Answer by xiemoon at 4:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• get some pull ups if you want and try that.. its hard when he is still in the diaper andtrying, see if you can get him to pee outside.. he might just think is fun cause you make such a big deal and really isnt sure what to do..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 3:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My daughter is just getting the hang of "squatting" with her diaper on. I didn't get the potty for them yet, just tell her she's doing really good going poopy, but she's also not ready for the potty yet. She's just now starting to realize she goes. I'm taking it slow so it won't be a long drawn out process when we do begin training on the potty. I think it's ok to let him poopy in his diaper and he begins realizing it first for awhile before on the potty. Congratulate him when he tells you he's gone poopy in his diaper and he will get some positive reinforcement that will later transfer to the potty chair down the road.
    Anonymous

• well, when he does sit on the potty to go poop, he sits for about 3 seconds which is actually a long period for him..haha... but I will try the pull ups and naked for a while - thank you ladies!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• just having it there is good
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 5:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009