• In the Spotlight:

Is this scenario normal?

I don't remember the "terrible twos" being that terrible, or even bad. Three..it's as if Satan slipped under the crack of our door overnight. Tantrums, "NO" about small things...I swear getting Mimi to brush her teeth is a fight, stuff that didn't used to be a problem now is, "I don't want to..." Now that's getting to be a common phrase, too, and I'm not asking her to get into the finest pre-school, but get dressed, or wear underwear instead of diapers, or brush her teeth. Is this bratty stage normal? Is there possibly something I'm doing wrong? She starts pre school two days a week next week, as she loves to play with other kids, maybe this will be an outlet for her and give me a little respite, but next week sometimes seems like next year...help!

mimismom436

Asked by mimismom436 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our kiddo will be three in September and he just started all of that crap too, so I feel you. I've heard a lot lately that three is worse than two. Don't worry, it isn't just you....but don't you wish someone would have told us before we were super surprised by all this stuff?!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes it's normal, but some kids are just more apt to act out than others when testing their boundries. I'd make a system that you are comfortable whatever that is for punishment and start following it. Also start picking your battles. If she wants to wear a dress thats to small it's probably not worth the fight, just get rid of it after she wears it. Take her to the store to buy her own toothpaste and toothbrush she is more likely to want to brush. Give choices instead of saying "do this". Say "do you want this or that"
    I think the few hours a week is great for all kids to be with others but don't expect it to change her. she will have lots of kids to emulate and may well copy them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• yes, I have 3 kids and with all of them the 3's are much worse then the 2's.
    Anonymous

• I have always said- that 'terrible 2's" were a joke, it was the "HORRIFICK 3's" that were/are a challenge.  My son will be 4 in Sept.  I'm just now able to brush his teeth w/out having to practically tackle him on the floor.  It really was bad.  IMO pre-school will be good... will distract her, tired her out etc.  I especially find that we battle more, when we're cooped up- together for long periods of time.  Time away will be good.  For both ;-)

TyandEmma

Answer by TyandEmma at 3:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• 3's are much worse! my daughters favorite thing to say is "no mommy, i don't want to....." over bed time, eating dinner "i hate dinner!!" it could be ice cream if its called dinner she "hates it" just keep strong and keep doing what you are doing, and remember to pick your battles, we go out w/her flip flops on the wrong feet, shirts on backwards, wearing a winter coat, and who knows what else. i figure its not worth the argument and the stress on me or her and well when its the winter coat and shes sweating in the car even w/the ac she learns that when mommy says its hot outside it really is hot outside and next time around she might listen.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yeah, it has nothing really to do with age, but them just pushing their boundaries to really see what you'll let them get away with, and with what you'll stand firm on. So just keep on her and don't break! Keep your rules and boundaries the same, and she'll eventually get over it.
    Anonymous

• the terrible 2's are just training for the tiresome three's and the f%^&ing fours. stand your ground and make it clear that the rules will not change, they will catch on eventually. sometimes you have to let them learn the hard way. my daughter's 4 1/2 and i think the storm has passed...lol.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 6:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I agree with all these posts so far. Picking your battles is the biggest thing. Something that worked for me with the teeth brushing is keeping it casual. She has her own toothpaste and she can stand at the sink and make a huge mess if she chooses (it all wipes up), and can take a half an hour to do it if she chooses. And for when she is really putting up a fight i just brush my teeth right along side her, and pull out the dental floss....this seems to be the bigest tooth brushing reward going. I tell her she can't 'be just like mommy' untill her teeth are all shinny. She is a little more willing to do it properly if she knows she gets to experiment with the floss. she is not coordinated enough to do it properly but it makes her feel like a grown up to try.
    pink.toes

Answer by pink.toes at 10:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009