so while i wait for a dr to call back... i need help!

does anyone have any suggestions for what to do about a constipated one month old with gas bad enough to put a grown man to shame? mylicon does not help him in the least. I'm dyin here.

emmetsmom09

Asked by emmetsmom09 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Swaddle him! Wrap him really really tight in a blanket and then holdhim like you are going to burp him. I'm sorry, that sucks :(
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• i heard that rubbing their belly lightly in a clockwise motion can sometimes help push the gas out. I'm pretty sure that they can give you prescription gas relief if OTC isn't working. I really wish you good luck that seems so aweful for him. Poor little guy!
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 4:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• he really hates swaddling. hasn't let me do it for at least two weeks now. ugh.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding, you should review your diet for foods that make babes gasey (like broccoli), and dairy (your babe could have a cow's milk intolerance or allergy).

If you are formula feeding, your babe could have a cow's milk intolerance or allergy. "Regular" formula is based on cow's milk. Soy formula has it's own issues, so I would not switch without consulting with your Dr.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• take a little bit of baby vicks vapor rub and rub it in a clockwise circle on his belly. it helped my little guy.
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Babies will resist swaddling, but they really do like it. It's one of those "they don't know what's good for them" kind of things, so try to do it anyway.

You can bicycle his legs to work the gas out. There is also a circular massage technique that can help, but you need to make sure that you always sweep down on his left side, because this is where his descending colon is (other wise you are just pushing the gas back up into him). Warm baths can help also.

Why do you think that he is constipated and gassy? New babies have weird bowels, so some of what you're experiencing may be normal.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• um i think he's constipated because he hasn't pooped in almost two days and he keeps pushing like he's trying to. he's gassy bc he keeps tooting... a ton. and he has this very specific cry when his belly hurts.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Get some glycerin suppositories or put vaseline on a q-tip and stick it up his little poop chute no more than a quarter inch. It will all come pouring out like theres no tomorrow.
    Anonymous