Breastfeeding with Mirena IUD?

I'm getting a Mirena placed this Wednesday, but I am breastfeeding and just am wondering if it will affect my milk supply. Breastfeeding is really important to me so I don't want to do anything that will jeopardize it.

Also, what kinds side effects can I expect from having a Mirena? What is it really like to have one placed? What is it really like to have one?

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the mirena IUD and I'm breastfeeding. I've had it in for 2 months now. My OBGYN recommended it and said that there would not be any problems with breastfeeding and there haven't been any. I haven't noticed a difference in my supply at all. I had an IUD before I was pregnant and when it was placed I had really strong cramps for one day. This time when it was placed it hurt when he put it in and there was cramping for maybe 5 minutes and then I haven't felt anything since. You could take Tylenol before your appointment just to lessen any cramping if you are worried about it. I love having an IUD in, there's nothing you have to do or worry about, it's great. I think my period has started, but it's been so light it's just spotting and I haven't felt any cramps. I'm sure everyone's body is different, but so far this IUD experience has been good. Good luck! Ask all these questions of your OBGYN if you are worried.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Mirena typically has no effect on breastfeeding. I can't address side effects but you should be able to find that online.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You should really check up on the side effects before you get one in. Most women aren't aware of the common side effects the mirena has. From Hypothermia to eptopic pregnancy they can be extreme.
    Anonymous

• PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Mirena IUD if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Mirena IUD is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Mirena IUD, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.

I found this here:http://www.drugs.com/cdi/mirena-iud.html
    Anonymous

• The website provided above also says this:

Levonorgestrel is excreted into human milk. However, no adverse effects have been found on breast-feeding performance, either in quality or quantity of the milk, or on the health, growth, or development of the infant. Levonorgestrel is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

I guess your best bet is to research it, write down all your questions and then discuss it with your doctor.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Why not go with the Copper IUD Paragard, its as effective as Mirena, but has less side effects, no hormones and last 10 years instead of 5...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2009