what last name does the baby get when we're not married?

I just realized that my baby will have a different last name than me, and that kind of bugs me. i was just wondering why the baby gets the dads last name? is it because his last name will never change? mine could if i got married... that kind of makes sense. anyways, elaborate for me please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• baby gets what ever name you want - something to talk about between you and the daddy if he is around
    my son had my last name, but his "dad" is not involved, i didnt even ask him i did what i wanted :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Your baby can have whatever last name you choose. You could hyphenate it if you don't think you'll ever marry the dad, or give it your own last name.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 4:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Baby can have whichever last name you choose to give him or her. My niece just had a baby a couple months ago and they hypenated her last name mom-dad. That way she has both and it's easy enough to change if they get married or to leave if mom decides to hyphenate.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009