Do they do a better job? Or a waste of money?

Do professional carpet cleaners do a better job vs using a basic steam cleaner from walmart? Do they do a better job with some stains ect? Or is it just a waste of money?

airforewifenmom

Asked by airforewifenmom at 4:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I dont think they do a better job, BUT it is hard work shampooing carpets, so it may be worth the money to save your self the labor if you can afford it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My experience is that some do a better job than you are likely to do yourself. Others will do a worse job. I'd check Angieslist or ask friends before choosing a carpet service.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Well, I am fixing to move out of my apt. We can clean the carpets to avoid a fee (out of our deposit) There are a FEW stains on the carpet. It would be whoever the apt owner has clean the carpets. I have no bearing over that. The fee is 70$ BUT I have a cheap steam cleaner it does OKAY BUT requires alot of manual scrubbing to work efficently. I would hate to do that work and still need to pay the fee.
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 4:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• i would say if you don't think the cleaner you have already is going to do a good enough job, then either rent a better one or just pay to have them clean the carpets. the ones you can rent do a pretty good job- i would get name brand cleaner to use just in case.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I think the professionals do a great job for tough stains and for deep cleaning, such as in a flooded basement, they have special cleaners to get out the sewage water, stink and bacteria that a carpet cleaner from Walmart or somewhere else wouldn't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I would just pay the $70. You probably can't do a very good job yourself with a little weak steam cleaner, not to mention the work you'll put into it. The management will probably still want to have it professionally cleaned, and charge you the $70 anyway. $70 is really cheap and will relieve you of the responsibility.
    Anonymous