Can you smoke while breastfeeding?

I'm a mom of 2 kids. I'm also a smoker (cigs), I'm not currently smoking but is having the urge to. Is it okay for my to smoke while I breastfeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you can refrain, try your best to. breastfeeding and smoking one or two cigarettes a day is probably okay (ask a doctor before you believe me) but remember smoking is also bad for YOU. it also gets on your clothes, skin and hair. if you can wait to start, it'd be much better for you guys.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• all the toxins do pass into the breast milk. they say if you absolutly cannot resist the urge smoke right after you nurse so it will not be as consentrated in your milk.
    and dont forget to change your shirt and wash your hands and face. you would be surpried how many toxins can pass through the skin into your babys system.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Its best not to, but its better to smoke and breastfeed then smoke and FF, either way the child is exposed to the toxins from the smoke but when breastfeeding its proven that the immunities and other properties of breastmilk are more beneficial than formula. This is according to AAP, WHO, LLL, and many many others who have done studies.

Smoking reduces milk supply as a warning...

try patches they are safe while BFing because atleast theya ren't getting the actual smoke in their system.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/smoking.html
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,40s2,00.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• It's best not to, but it's still safer for a smoker to nurse then for a smoker to use formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If you aren't smoking now don't start again!! Do whatever you can to quit for good. Your children will thank you (when they are old enough to say so).
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• ARE YOU PEOPLE KIDDING ME???? WHY IS IT THAT PEOPLE LOOK DOWN ON OTHERS FOR FEEDING THEIR BABIES FORMULA??? IF IT WAS AS HORRIBLE AS YOU MAKE IT SOUND DON'T YOU THINK THAT OPTION WOULD BE TAKEN AWAY!!! MY SIL BF HER TWO GIRLS AND LET ME TELL YOU, THEY ARE NO SMARTER OR HEALTHIER THAN MY LITTLE ONE THAT IS THE SAME AGE AND WAS FF. THEY ARE SICK MORE, EAR INFECTIONS, STREP, COLDS, ETC... BUT THAT IS THE BETTER OPTION, RIGHT!!! QUIT BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL ON IT!!! I HONESTLY THINK THAT THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, EXCEPT THAT ITS FREE.
    Anonymous

• This was not a BF FF debate, but, since you made it one. Let's compare shall we: One is made specifically for the child as nature intended it...One is man trying to come up with the best equivilent to BM as he can. One is all natural and not made with man made ingredients...One is made with all man made stuff. I think BM wins hands down and I think you are jelous you didn't breast feed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Toxins stay in the breastmilk for approximately 90 minutes.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I smoke 1 cig. a day and have been bf'ing for 4 mos. Nothing negative has happened, I didn't realize it was something I couldn't do. I always wash my hands afterward and never, ever do it around my baby. It's usually after she's asleep.
    Anonymous

• why would I be jealous first of all? There is nothing to be jealous about. its a mothers choice. you need to really get a life if you do that much research. There are so many babies that are ff and that have all turned out ok even w/ all the "toxins" you are talking about! I feel bad for you that you have that much time on your hands to look into everything and do research on it! Get a life!!
    Anonymous