Poop!

My son is 19 - almost 20 months old - he's been grabbing his "area" through his diaper and saying Poop - and then sitting on the floor to poop - so we bought him a potty and the last weekend when he does it, we all run to the potty for him to sit on the potty ( with the diaper on ) and he grunts -never really pushing one out but making the attempt - I don't really feel he's READY to start like he doesn't tell me when he pee's, can't pull down his own pants, though I have started working on this but am I making it too much about positive attention or woudl this be wasted time and effort at this point to even have brought the potty out?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• it wont hurt to introduce him to it. my son is 2 1/2 and gets on his potty first thing in the morning and maybe one more time during the day. he will let us know he needs to go sometimes but not all the time (he is speech delayed) and he still hasnt pooped in it yet. just keep doing what you are doing and maybe he will be an easy potty trainer. good luck :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Never rely on a young child to tell you he has to pee or poop. While many do in the early phases of potty training, most stop after the excitment wears off. They quickly learn that telling you (or honestly answering "Yes" if you foolishly ask) means that you will make them leave their toys - so they don't tell you and they don't answer "yes". Do not rely on that - simply take him at set times.

And he doesn't have to be able to work his own clothes. You will be taking him to the bathroom, not waiting for him to go, and you won't be leaving him in the bathroom alone. You'll be there anyway so you can help him with his clothes.

Don't let the "most boys aren't ready until close to 3" rumors stop you. There are lots of opinions about potty training - none of the 100% right or wrong - and what is "most" anyway? You know your son. Go for it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• When a child is being taken to the restroom on a set scheduled and forced to sit there until something comes out the child is not potty training, you the parent are. When a child is completely ready to "potty train" they WILL tell you when they need to go, they WILL pull down their own pants, and they WILL think its gross if they go in their pants. Before that point, the parent is training not the child. It never hurts to introduce the potty to the child and offer encouragement, so I would continue to let your son lead the way, just don't force him to potty train. Boys take longer then girls, its not rumor its fact. The internal anatomy of a child must be mature before said child can potty train, and boy's anatomy matures slower, ask a dr. its not rumor. Go ahead, let your child discover the potty, just don't force him before he's ready. He WILL tell you when he's ready, all children do, its just whether the parent listens.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I don't think it hurt anything to let him see the potty and sort of act out using it...sort of like a role play. My opinion, though, is that it is not sensible to try to potty train a child who can't really manage using the potty by himself...can't pull down his own pants, etc. I know there are various opinions about it and some people train very young children, but when they do they are usually extremely involved in managing the child's potty usage and there are lots of accidents, etc. I go with the idea of waiting until the child is really ready. This is an issue of SELF-control....so it should come when the child is completely ready. Don't take the opportunity for self discovery away from your child by taking control over this for him! Let him lead you....and know that it is cute that he is interested in the potty and his bowel movements and that is eventually going to lead to his using the toilet by himself.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2009