Celexa and suicidal thoughts??

Has any mommas out there taken Celexa and had suicidal thoughts? I hate this drug and have called my doctor's office 3 times about it. I have an appointment Thursday, but I am curious. I have furious, violent mood swings and just want OFF of it. I HATE, HATE, HATE what it has done to me. Someone please answer, please...I know I am a no one on here and not popular, but my children are just as important as anyone's. Please help me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Health

• well here's what i know

the first two weeks on any depression medication may worsen symptoms, but it is important to keep taking the medication because eventually it should work. so this IS normal.

sounds crazy to continue on a medication that makes you suicidal though. just know that they don't always "work" right away. read as much as you can online and see if you can bump your appointment up at all. there are 24 hour lines, like nurse lines, that you can also call and get advice from.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I've not used that one but have used others and had suicidal thoughts. I took myself off the crap. Now I use an over the counter remedy for neurotransmitter function called 5:htp. Ask the dr about that. It's more of a natural remedy and it works for me with no bad side effects. I've fought with suicidal thoughts for decades and it's never easy to get through those times but you can. Just remember when it gets horrible, this depression crap is cyclical and if you hang in there a day or two the worst will be over and you can think more clearly then. You ARE somebody. Never doubt that. You are vital to this life. You are needed for your children. You will find your peace. Has he mentioned any personality disorders? Sometimes they cause the mood swings. I was just reading about some meds that worked for some moms for mood swings in the group for Borderline Personality Disorder. Not saying you have that, but read about mood swings

Answer by admckenzie at 5:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Are you on Celexa for Depression or something else? I was put on it as a pain controller for Fibromyalgia and Depression also. I didn't like it either. I didn't have suicidal thoughts, but it just didn't make me feel "normal."
    I am now on Cymbalta at night --helps with pain management, depression, and sleep disorders, and wellbutrin in the mornings. This seems to help me more than anything else I've taken. Ihave a great doc who tries to use as few meds as possible to help as many disorders as possible. Don't suddenly stop taking the Celexa, that could make you feel worse. Go to your doc, tell them your feelings, and try different methods of controlling your symptoms. It usually takes about 2 weeks for any drug to work to its full effect, but having suicidal thoughts isn't something to play around with. Get help immediately. You ARE NOT ALONE in this battle. So many of us women suffer with depression, anxiety, etc. I know
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• there are always critics out there that say negative things about it, but depression is more than just being sad. It can come from a chemical imbalance in the brain, and it can be treated. Remember....cafemom is full of women just like you. I know. I 'm one of them. I'll keep you in my prayers, and I think going out for a long walk will help clear your mind when thoughts get all jumbled up inside. Just know that you are needed. You are special. You are loved. You have a long, beautiful life ahead of you....give the fog a chance to lift, ok. The sun will shine for you again.. God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009