Can someone kindly explain . . .?

explain what ACORN has to do with Cap and Trade? I keep hearing on the news as I am clicking through channels that money from companies having to buy carbon credits will go to ACORN. Is this correct? And if so, why? I don't understand what they have to do with carbon emmisions.
(please forgive any faulty spelling, no spellcheck when you post a question)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Two separate issues that have lead to an ongoing joke. ACORN is going to be corrupting the census for 2010. There's a big mess about how much money they're being given to do it. Which leads to the Cap & Trade joke about the 300 pages added on at 3am the day of the vote, "suprised there's not another $20 million for ACORN hiding in there too." Guys like Beck and Limbaugh say that a few times over the course of a few hours, and suddenly people are sending chain emails about ACORN getting $20m in the C&T bill.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I checked out the ACORN sight, and can't figure it out either. It talks about installing speed bumps and trying to raise the minimum wage.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm. I must need a class or something. How does a speed bump and raising the minimum wage help the environment?

Anonymous

• Here is ACORN's mission statement:

The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) aims to organize a majority consituency of low- to moderate-income people across the United States. The members of ACORN take on issues of relevance to their communities, whether those issues are discrimination, affordable housing, a quality education, or better public services. ACORN believes that low- to moderate-income people are the best advocates for their communities, and so ACORN's low- to moderate-income members act as leaders, spokespeople, and decision-makers within the organization.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• The bottom 40% of people who work pay NO net taxes on their income. This means if they pay, they get EIC back. 0 taxes paid. Some people pay NO taxes, because they never make enough money to.

If they pay cigarette taxes or taxes on their cable or cell phone, etc.,.,, it is negligible compared to the taxes that the more well paid members of society pay.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, if you fall into that category, adding little overall in the way of taxes to the tax base, and ESPECIALLY if you are only able to draw from the system, be happy you are even able to vote, you shouldn't be able to, let alone advocate to the people who make the living for EVERYBODY! about all of the perceived social and economic injustices in this country.

You don't need to be making any decisions until you're the one making the dough. Advocate for your community, just don't plan to tax me to death to do it.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Grace, I certainly hope that you're not saying that people who make less than 40k shouldn't be able to vote. You're cutting out most teachers, police, firefighters, paramedics, EMT's and military members. People who actually work FOR everybody, to protect, to save the lives and to teach our children...

I don't get mean on here often, but this is warranted: that's pathetic.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Please, can anyone explain what ACORN has to do with Cap and Trade?
    Anonymous

• I can't explain because I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I don't think they have any reason to be tied together.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I just went to the Library of Congress webpage and searched through both copies of the bill. Neither one mentions ACORN... so I'm guessing that any association between the cap & trade bill and ACORN is an assumed one from the media. Legally and technically, there is no association between the two.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:1:./temp/~c111vv1r5s::
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 7:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I didn't say 40K, I said 40%.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009