Do you think Atlantis was a real place?

Personally, I do. Why would it be so hard to believe that land masses have "fell into the sea" especially with what we see happening to the island that Alcatrz set's on?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They have found remains of cities and stuff under the sea, right? I thought, anyway..... I think that Atlantis existed. A lot of people think that there are parts of California that will end up the same way. Hell, look at Pompeii.....Vesuvius (sp?) blew up and that whole city was buried for centuries! There are remains below is we don't have a clue about! Or what about the tsunami of 2004? If that had hit smaller areas than it did or been just a little bigger than it was tiny countries could have disappeared from the face of the earth!

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I believe there is truth to the story; Yes. But how much of it is really true will likely remain a mystery.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I believe it existed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I don't know. It's entirely possible.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• It's not hard to believe that an island sunk into the see - there's a lot of evidence to support something like that happening. But the story of Atlantis is just that - a story. It's from Plato and Plato's goal wasn't to pass on historical information but to create stories to teach moral lessons.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Oh, you mean kinda like what I believe the writers of the bible did? I guess the next thing you are going to say is that the library of Alexandria didn't really exist either. And I don't see how you can say it's possible then say it is just a story. I guess I am confused.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I don't know, but good question though. I also wonder about the whole Bermuda Triangle thing too. Anyone have any answers on that one?
    Anonymous

• No... I believe it got mixed up with the myth/legend of Atlas and Tantalus. There are WAY too many coincidences between the two stories!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Maybe. I'd like to think that it was a real place.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Oh, you mean kinda like what I believe the writers of the bible did?

I guess if you believe that the intention of the biblical writers was to provide a moral message and not a historical documentation.  I think the bible contains both - some moral lessons and some historical events.

I guess the next thing you are going to say is that the library of Alexandria didn't really exist either.

Of course it did - we have evidence for is. But I wouldn't ever claim that because other libraries existed that means the Library of Alexandria had to exist. Which is what claiming because other islands have falled into the ocean it means Atlantis must have existed.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009