What are the Best Books a First Time Mom should Have re: Parenting in the Infant and Toddler Years?

I'm clueless about breastfeeding, when a baby starts eating real food, what sort of toys a baby should have to help development... I'm hoping there's books out there that have interactive qualities too so it isn't just a text-book like read. Do you have any books that you feel are wonderful tools to help with understanding parenting and the baby's basic needs?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 6:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I like the WTE the first years
    Anonymous

• I like the what to expect books. I had the what to expect when your expecting, the what to expect the first year, the what to expect the toddler years, and I just ordered my DD the what to expect when mommy is expecting book lol. Love them all so far
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• The Baby Book. by Dr. Sears.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• "the girlfriends guide to pregnancy" is a great book, and really easy to read. It's not boring like most of the other books out there, the author (who I can't remember at the moment) puts a very funny spin on pregnancy and parenting. It had very good information in it, I'm going to get a copy for my SIL who just found out she is pregnant.
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I am a first time mom and have used Baby 411 and now am using Toddler 411. I love how easy the book is to read and the advice has really been a true "how-to" manual for raising my son so far.

www.baby411.com
    Anonymous

• I am a first time mom and I like the Baby 411 book too. I also use "The Complete and Authoritative Guide Caring for your Baby and Young Child." This is put out by the American Academy of Pediatrics. The only downfall is it does read like a text book, but tons of good information!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I like "Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5" by the AAP.

http://www.amazon.com/Caring-Your-Baby-Young-Child/dp/0553379623/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246315283&sr=8-2

I did not like the "Our way is the only right way. If you don't follow everything we say, you are a bad mom" tone of the What To Expect books.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton is a wonderful book on child development from birth until age 5.
    www.touchpoints.org

Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is the best book on feeding babies, toddlers and nutrition. www.superbabyfood.com

Contact the hospital where you plan to deliver; they should offer classes in newborn care, breastfeeding, infant first aid and CPR. They may also have a new mom support group and pre and post natal exercise classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• There is a lot of help for first time moms in the Mommyhood application on Facebook if you have a profile there, too! Here's a link: http://apps.facebook.com/mommyhood/groups/topic/45/1st-time-mommy-needs-help/
    jstra2009

Answer by jstra2009 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2009