Angry teen but oh well!

Okay so my son did poorly in school prior to his last report card. I helped him raise his grades and he got an F and Bs and Cs on his final. I told him my grading pay and once he saw -$20 for the one "F" he got mad. I know if he did the math he would still get $$ but his anger got the best of him and I don't think he's going to bother now. Would you buy yourself something and flash it to him look what I bought myself with your grading $$ since you didn't bother to do the math on what I owed you or would you still pay him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If he had monies due him, pay him. I personally don't believe in paying kids for grades. That is their job. At my house they get extra chores and loss of freedom for bad grades. At the same time good grades can earn them an extra hour before curfew. A special trip. I guess you just have to find what works for you. Once you lay the groundrules you have to stick by them though. I might say to my son "you have until Noon tomorrow to come to me about any money owed you from grades. If you fail to do so you will forfeit it.," He still has to figure it out.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Still pay him, what encouragement is there for next time if you take the money he worked hard for?
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No, I think that wouldn't teach him anything other than his mom can be really cruel.

I would wait until he has had a chance to cool off and think about the situation a bit. He may come to you and apologize for flying off the handle and might even surprise you by admitting he deserves to lose some dough. But if paying him for his grades was your original agreement, you need to stand by it.

Even if he doesn't come to you to collect, you need to go to him and say that even though his anger was inappropriate, he still earned some pay for the good grades, and give it to him.

This will teach him that even when someone is being annoying, the right thing to do is to hold on to your temper and follow through with the agreement.
    Anonymous

• No. What exactly are you teaching your kid by being a petty brat?
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2009