Pregnancy cravings....I must be weird?

Well I am 14 weeks, and I do not like the idea of food at all. I know I have to eat so I eat what I have to so the baby will grow healthy. But the only things I can force myself to eat are fruits. And the only thing that I crave is water and ice? Is that weird or has anyone else been this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• look up pica, have you been tested for your iron level? its normal to be sick to your stomach, it should go away really soon. make sure you are getting proteins from somewhere
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had my iron tested and it was normal...could that mean its low?
    Anonymous

• Craving ice usually means low iron. The craving for items that are not normally food (such as ice, dirt, laundry soap, etc) are called Pica, and they usually mean a deficiency of some sort. Drink lots of water .. that's never a bad thing during pregnancy! I craved a lot of fruit in my pregnancy too; its a good source of vitamins and still sweet enough to tempt you. Stay away from a lot of 100% fruit drinks though, bc of the sugar. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure your appetite will come back eventually! I would ask my doctor about the ice cravings though; could be that your iron is dropping lower as the pregnancy increases. Mine was fine until I hit 20 weeks, then I had to be put on supplements. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Towards the end of my pregnancy, I loved water w/ ice. I couldn't get enough. In the beginning of my pregnancy when I was neausous, (sp) the only thing that helped that was the 100 calorie pack peanut butter crispers. I'd eat that and felt much better. Good luck!!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• During the first trimester, you actually lose more weight then you gain, Its normal to not want anything, all I wanted was ice too...AND I DON'T HAVE LOW IRON! it was just really hot and I needed/wanted it. so talk to your doctor, but don't get worried over something that might not even be there
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• With my second pregnancy I had a total food aversion. Everything tasted very bland and nothing appealed to me. My husband and I went to a really expensive dinner and it was such a waste, I couldnt taste anything. I have craved ice and ice water for all 3 pregnancies. All I can suggest is finding whatever you can eat and eating it and making sure you take supplements. Have you had a problem with lettuce or celery? I only ask because they are crispy and watery like ice, Even if you can just throw some lettuce on a plate with some fruit, its nutritional and is filling your belly. This early on it takes a minimal amount of food to feed the baby. I would also look into maybe a protein supplement that maybe you can mix in ice cream, find a natural source....like they have a protein mix made strictly of egg whites or go to a natural food store. Of course always call and make sure what you get is ok.
    vivianasmom

Answer by vivianasmom at 11:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009