My 4 yr old granddaughter is a bed wetter.

My granddaughter is a bedwetter. she is aware of when she needs to go but will go in her pants in front of her parents. yes defiance but we need help

what2do4us

Asked by what2do4us at 6:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That should be a private matter between her parents, not advertising it. Some kids may have a weak bladder, and need to learn control of it.
    Anonymous

• My dd4 still wears overnight pull ups to bed, I was afraid that was too long, but the ped assured me that it was still totally normal at 4 to not be able to wake to get to the bathroom. I don't know what to tell you about the defiance part, but if she's doing it while sleeping, I recommend overnight type pull ups.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• She's only 4 - I wouldn't be concerned about bedwetting just yet. As far as going when she's awake in front of her parents, I would wonder if there is something going on in her life that is upsetting or stressful that's making her act out? I would make her wear pullups until she's able to stay dry consistently. If you make a big deal out of it, it'll just continue to be this huge "power" she has. If you act like it's no big deal, and she can just wear diapers like a baby if that's what she wants, then maybe she'll stop. Good luck!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 6:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• There is a huge difference between being a bedwetter - something a child does while sound asleep - and wetting her pants while awake.

For true bedwetting - don't worry about it. Most outgrow it by 6 and putting pressure on her, telling her to "grow-up", or punishing her for it will only make it worse.

For actual toilet training lapses like wetting her pants on purpose, simple discipline should take care of it assuming there isn't a medical problem. Everyone needs to stay calm, have her calmly clean up the mess, change her clothes, put them and any rags she used in the laundry, and serve a time-out if it was on purpose. Getting angry gives her power - look what she made the big, powerful adults do! Don't give her anything - stay calm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• do they get her up in the middle of the night?? my daughter just turned 5, and she still occasionally wets her bed..she does it in her sleep tho, so its never on purpose. i get her up in the middle of the night tho, usually around 12:30-1am..and that helps..i didnt want to have to do that, i actually got in a big argument with my mom over it, but in the end, of course my mom was right..lol..just cuz i feel i shouldnt have to wake her up and take her to the bathroom, doesnt mean i dont need to!! it has made our lives so much easier, not as much laundry, daughter doesnt feel like shes 'failing' in that deptartment..not that i ever made her feel bad, cuz it didnt, i get that theres accidents, but she HATES it, she gets so disappointed in herself..so ya, might wanna try that!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2009