when is it ok to take your kids to the movies?

whens the appropriate time to do so? there are some movies i want to take my little ones to go see but i dont knoe if it would be appropriate enough to do so since there so young.

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 6:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Entertainment

• How old are your kids? I think it's appropriate when they are old enough to sit and watch for the length of a movie. That might be different ages for different kids. We just took our 2.5 year old to the movies for the first time to see Up... since we have other kids dh and I both went with the intention that if she got restless he could stay with the big kids and I could take the toddler out into the lobby. She did sit through the movie, though she got a bit squirmy by the end. My other kids were a bit older going to the movies, but that was more because my son didn't want to go for ages (he is really sensitive to noise, he still finds the movies really loud and sometimes plugs his ears when we're in the theatre.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• well my baby is almost 7 months and been going to movies with her since 2 months old but we have theaters here for adults with kids where you sit in the very back and its a glass enclosed area works nice on the nights you want out w/o able to get a sitter!
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 6:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I started taking mine at age 3. But only during the day when there are only kids and parents in the theatre, so that when they get tired of sitting still they can stand up. I never let them move away from where we are sitting though, I think it's important for them to learn how they need to behave in that sort of environment other wise they end up being one of those obnoxious kids running up and down the isle.

busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We took DD to her first movie just after turning 3 years old. We went to see Monsters vs. Aliens. She was really good through it...minus the last 10 minutes or so where she wasn't happy with just sitting there anymore.

I say don't take your children until they are able to sit through most of the movie without problem and, if they want to get up, you are willing to miss the rest of the movie. I hate it when people bring BABIES into theaters because, although there are a few that are okay, most I've known don't make it through the movie without screaming their head off and then the parents don't have the brains to leave the theater. Sorry...sore spot.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• hehe thats why i like my theater.. private rooms in the theater room to watch em w/o disturbing the rest of ya'll :)
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 6:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• well my kids are 3 and 7 almost 8 months old. surprising enough they both sit threw a whole movie. riley knows how to be quiet but aiden some times like to yell at the load noises. i was thinking of taking them to a day time movie.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I think it depends on the kids. For example, I couldn't take my 4 year old she asks way too many questions during movies, but probably could my 17 month old. We always take the kids to the drive in though so we don't bother anyone.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I was able to take my oldest at 2.5 but my youngest just turned 2 and I cannot see taking him anytime soon.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I took my son when he was old enough to sit through an entire movie and only if it was rated G. Mostly Disney movies...guess that was around age 3.
    Anonymous

• my son was 3 and my daughter is 5 i think it all depends on the child. im gonna take my daughter to see the new disney princess movie at the end of this year.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 8:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009