When You Had Your First Baby did you Have a Car? If not, how did you do it?

I'm looking at mine and my honey's finances and I'm thinking about selling my car. I've been a champion at bike riding and bus riding before when I was younger so it's not a stretch to think I can do it again. But what with a new baby coming... how hard is it really? Do you have experience of what it's like living with an infant without your own car?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 6:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it was hard. for my frist baby i didnt have a car. we had to thake he bus every where. the rain the snow the heat ! i understand these days its hard to have pay bills and still have money left over but having a car is great. if u have friends and family that can drive u every were that would be good to good luck
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 6:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I just had a baby and we both have a car. My Dh and I both work full-time, so she needs to go to daycare. Are you planning on staying home? If you don't need to go a lot of places, I think you can do it. I didn't go anywhere for the first month and a half. I was just so involved with her and bf'ing that I really didn't need to go anywhere. She's 4 mos. now, tho. and I don't think it'd be really hard to use public transport with a stroller, etc. When we go out now, all she needs is a stroller or an infant carrier and her diaper bag. I use that as a purse, too, so that's not too much stuff. I think you can do it, it just depends on where you need to go and how often.
    Anonymous

• i wrote a bike with a thing behind it used a wagon
    Anonymous

• If you have easy access to public transportation, and you only have one child, it would be manageable, but certainly not ideal.

I have never used public transportation, because it isn't available in my area.

My husband and I made one car work until the boys were almost a year old because we lived across the street from campus where he worked, and he never needed to take the car away from the babies and I.

When we moved, and he had to drive to work, IMO a second car was a necessity unless I was to drive him to and from work every day. IMO, it isn't safe to be home alone with an infant without a car or alternate transportation. Also, factor in trips to the grocery store, doctor's appointments, diaper runs, play groups all those things.

Good Luck, I hope that you can find a solution that works for your family.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I didn't . But I was 18 and living with parents. If you live near family or close friends, and they do not mind hauling you places when you need it (grocery shopping, doctors visits) then go for it.

We didn't get a car until my 2nd baby was born. She was 5 months old and my son was 2. Until then, we walked (I walked off my baby weight :-) or called a taxi. If we couldn't afford a taxi because of bills or what not, we'd ask a relative.

Such a relief to have a car though!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We don't have a car. We're trying to get one but my fiance is 20 so insurance is so high for him...
    We get along fine, but we live in a town of 30,000 so walking from one corner to the other takes like 40 minutes and we barely ever have to do that. If we do, I don't mind the exercise.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• With our first child we had a vehicle, but it was too small so we ugraded to an SUV then hubby lost his job and we have no car, just had our second baby, one is 2 and the other is 11days! It's hard esp with DR app and WIC, but we get rides from family currently, but do need a vehicle and are trying to save. Times are tough but with one child, it's easy to cath a bus, or walk w/stroller.
    LCmommyof2

Answer by LCmommyof2 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My husband has a work truck. We walk, take public transit, and use I-Go

Answer by rkoloms at 11:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009