Can your water break with no labor pains?

my best friend went for a very long walk and then came home and got on the yoga ball (she is right at her due date) and when she stood up she thought she was sweaty down there... but then it trickled down to her ankle, she THINKS it might be her water broken. What do you think?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 7:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My water broke and I was surprised about it, thinking it would be more, so I called my mother and she asked if I was having contractions, I said 'No.....ahhhhhhhh! Yes!"

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My water broke in the middle of the night. A gush of water and then continued on.....I still didn't have any labor pains until a few hours later with they started the Pitocin.
    Anonymous

• I woke up at 5 am to a soaked bed and no contractions. Cleaned up and went back to sleep or tried any way. about 7 am I started to feel contractions. Gave birth at 3 pm that afternoon. if she is leaking fluid then tell her to keep walking and make sure her labor is really starting. If the contractions don't pick up in an hour or so then she needs to get to the hospital and let her doctor know! Once they do an exam though she will have 24 hours to deliver or it will be c-section due to infection risk..
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Could be. My water broke ( I thought I peed myself...lol) and I had no labor pains for about an hour or 2, when I was at the hospital.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Well, she won't need a C-section as long as they give her antibiotics. My water broke at 4 a.m. on September 1st and I didn't have my son until 3:00 p.m. on September 2nd. But she should definitely get to the hospital if it did so she can have the meds she needs.
    Anonymous

• It probably is her water. My water broke last time and I never did have any contractions. They waited for 2 hours before they gave me petocin.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Oh yeah. My mom's water broke and she NEVER went into labor. Some ppl just never progress.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Either way...go check it out. They will do a test. If it did and she doesn't go into labor, she could get a serious infection that could risk both her life and the baby's.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Totally possible.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yes it takes a while before contractions start, for me it took a few hours.
    charleneccj

Answer by charleneccj at 7:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2009