Security "blankets"?

So my son is 3 and doesnt so much have a security blanket as much as a security belly button. Mine to be specific. Before bedtime he just want to put his little finger in my belly button and fall right to sleep, or when hes hurt or really I think just for comfort. Am I alone? I think maybe its because I breastfed him until he was 15 months and he did that when he would nurse. Id really like him to break the habit but dont want to seem mean. What do I do??

rleeds23

Asked by rleeds23 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think as long as he isn't rubbing it raw or anything, just let him grow out of it.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• awe, my son doesn't use this as his security blanket, but he is fascinated with mine. I have a belly ring though so it kind of hurts when he plays with mine. I told my son the butterflies in my tummy didn't like being petted, and that worked for him. I think I would just gently tell him something like it tickles you, or make up some silly story about butterflies and you would prefer he hold your hand or whatever you choose as the replacement behavior if it bothers you that much. If your ok with it, then by all means just let him grow out of it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• If you are sure you are ready for him to stop then you'll have to move his hand every time he puts it there and tell him no. If he is super attached, he's gonna cry. If you then give in and let him do it, there will be a forever battle about it. That's why I said to only do something if you are SURE you are ready.

If you aren't, then tell him you'd like for him to think about stopping in the near future and pick a date in a week or so. Have him say bye-bye to it sometimes when it is not ok for him to do it and get used to not having access just anytime he wants to. Make it so he has to ask and accept yes sometimes and no at other times. Then just work towards more no's as you get closer to your date. At that time let the no be no and don't give in anymore. He may have weaned to a degree he won't cry, but it just depends on if crying gets a response he typically likes. If it does in any area he will cry about this too.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2009