How do you feel when your mil says that your child looks just like HER?

I don't know about you, but I get really upset. I think it's rude, even if it's not meant that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• UGH!!! Yes, my mil did that with my 1st- she was bragging at one doings and said "oh he looks just like me as a baby" then she ran in her house to get her one baby picture and had to show it around. I did not see ANY resemblance-- but my hubs stupid sil said "oh G he looks just like you!" then mil passed the picture to me and had this smirk on her face and said 'don't you think so?' and I said "nope, can't see any resemblance'.
    I was soooo tempted to slap her and sil for egging her on!
    It really bothered me. Thankfully as he grew older she stopped doing that, and she did not start that crap with babies #2 and 3. I spoke up right away that they looked just like ME as a baby and offered to get my baby pictures to prove it!! Thankfully my mom heard me tell mil that and said that my other 2 looked like me as a baby.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yep, I'll tell you what. I'd feel really offended too. I know the situation with my mil is she is consistently bordering crossing the line on who's the mommy and who's dating her son.
    I'm sure she didn't mean it that way though!
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 8:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Eek. NO no. My son looks like ME and his FATHER, lol. I hate it when anyone else tries to take credit!
    Anonymous

• Well my MIL isn't that bad of a person. Believe it or not i wish she was more of a part of my DD life but oh well. My DD looks so much like her father and he doesn't look anything like his mother so to answer your question YES that would piss me off also.
    Anonymous

• I would love if she did, however she passed away 5 years ago. And there are features of my son that reminds me so much of her!
    Anonymous

• LMAO - Preggo are you my future SIL? MIL acts like the jealous X-GF / Surrogate "Mommy". MIL "brags" to all her friends how she cant get over the fact that ALL of her grandkids (my 2 boys / SIL's daughter) look EXACTLY like her & DH & BIL, funny thing is that DH & BIL are ADOPTED. When I'm in a b!tchy mood I love to burst her bubble about that :)
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Inasmuch as your child shares your MIL's DNA (from your husband), chances are that there could be a resemblance between your child and his or her grandmother. She probably doesn't realize that it bothers you and doesn't mean any harm, she is just proud of her grandchild.
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 8:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• my mil says my dd resembles her when she was little but i showed her a pic of my mom when she was little & my dd looks just like my mom did
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• that doesnt bother me what does is when i was carrying my son she told us the baby was calling her mommy when he was born. uhhh hello i have the swollen everything im having the csection im the MOMMY
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 8:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had a family friend tell me my son looked like my sil and not anything like me. What a low class cafona. Man was she jealous of our family.
    Anonymous