Does anyone know where I could look (online) for info on grants???

I really want to go back to school, but I need all the financial help I can get. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to take out a loan, that is, even if my credit were to make that an option. Also, do grants apply to online schooling? Thanks in advance for any help!

EvaSerenity

Asked by EvaSerenity at 8:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes grants work for online schools. Community colleges have online courses for about 1/2 the price of other online schools. So shop around.

You will need to fill out a FAFSA at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to see if you qualify for Government Grants, student loans, etc.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• google grants.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• LOL. I guess I should have been more specific. I need to know what types of grants to look for, and how I know if its legit or a scam.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 8:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• grants.gov

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority.

Start with the financial aid office of a local community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university. www.fastweb.com has lots of information on scholarships.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right choice for you. (When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2009