My son recently turned one-years-old this month. I am not sure if its an age thing, but he has recently started temper tantrams whenever he doesnt get his way. How do I handle this? I am not a fan of hitting. I do yell at him when he does this and when he does it at home, I ignore him. Its when we are in public that worries me. When he throws his tantram, he goes down to the ground and often hits his head, which also worries me. He kicks and swings his arms also : ( Any suggestions are a

Behavior problem.....

Asked by Theresa2674 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is the age. What I have done with my daughter, is try to prevent her from throwing herself down. I try to make sure I let her nap before we go shopping. In the event I have to go shopping and she hasn't napped, I make sure to take a snack and her water cup. That way, she has something to do. I also have a habit of grabbing any brochures that are free as I shop. If it's something I don't think I will look at, I hand it to her so she has something to look at while we shop. I put her in the shopping cart. If I have that mother's instinct that she's gonna be prone to getting upset in the store, I use a stroller if it's a small stop. If she gets upset at home, I have put her in time out.

• Answer cont. from 1st answer:
    What you can do is put them in your lap facing away from you and hold them so they can't hit or slam their head against you. Sit towards the edge of the chair, and when they put up a fuss, spread your legs apart, where they are straddling them, it makes them feel unbalanced and they stop struggling. After a minute, and when they are calm, turn them around give them a hug and a kiss and an I Love You and turn um loose. (I read about this technique. It gives them time to cool down.) I think the biggest thing at this age is they are trying to show their independence. I make sure my little one gets naps and snacks and drinks, and go from there. Good Luck :o) (ran out of room)

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Well, at home I have a play pen set up so that when she throws her tantrum she knows that there is a consequence. I don't want her to hurt herself throwing herself all around the floor so I pick her up and put her in when she starts kicking and screaming. I don't know what to do outside the house though. I always have her dolly and a snack and a sippy cup ready to distract her and that seems to work... but today she threw a tantrum at a resturant and we couldn't "control" it... good luck!

Answer by msp12r at 12:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• It's really just a stage. They know what they want, but can't always communicate and that just sets off a little time bomb!! LOL Don't consistent, be firm, and ignore him when he does it. If you're in public, remove him from the situation immediately. Yelling doesn't work, I've found with my children that a soft, even toned voice works better than anything. They have to quiet down to hear me.

Answer by mommytoadam at 8:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• one of my girls started that, she would cry and then flop backwards when i took something away. i just caught her head laid her down gently and walked away. i never yelled at her or gave her attention, it stopped pretty soon. she started at 10 months i guess and by about 1 year she was pretty much over that.

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2008