Flying with baby...

ladies when you flew with your small child 2 years and under did you buy the ticket so they would have a seat of their own and a did you take a car seat for safety or did you not pay for the child ticket and just sit baby on your lap?

How old was your baby and did you use the car seat or opt for the baby on the lap instead. How long was your flight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my son was 6 months we didn't buy the ticket and had him in our lap. The flight there and back were each 2 - 2 1/2 hours long.

At 9 months we didn't buy the ticket either. The first flight there was 2 1/2 hours. Second leg was 2 hours. On the way home it was a 3 hour flight.

Anonymous

• he was 3 months and i had him in my lap. It was 3 hours both ways and being held he slept the whole time.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Always bought tickets for my kids.They have been flying since they were 3 months old. I felt safer if there was turbulence or a hard landing and it was a relief to have my hands free.I put them in a car seat, just like when they rode in the car. The longest flight was probably 6 hours total, shortest 3.
    You can take them as a lap child and take your car seat on the chance there is a free seat, but now a days, that is rare.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 9:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We always bought a ticket and used a car seat. The most important reason was that a lap baby can become a projectile in the event of extreme turbulence. The car seat had the added advantage of being a familiar spot in an unfamiliar location.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I honestly don't think it's safe or fair that you get a seatbelt and your child doesn't. If there is a severe landing or turbulence, you may not be able to hold onto your baby, or being held may cause injury (as opposed to being properly reclined/restrained in a car seat).

I know it can get pricey, but safety shouldn't have a price tag.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• It doesn't make sense that they allow without. Seatbelts are either necessary or not and you cannot share a seat belt with a lap child.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2009