Would you report this?

I was walking my little dog this morning and we were going down this street, on the public sidewalk minding our own business and a great big hairy monster-size dog started baying from the other side of a fence, so I don't go near the fence and neither does my dog but as we go along there is a section of the fence where it is bent down and this big dog takes a running jump OVER the bent part and onto the sidewalk in front of me. I started yelling at it and a woman comes out of the house and starts screaming at ME to stop bothering her dog! I yelled back to get her dog back inside the fence and she says it is her property. I told her the public sidewalk was NOT her property. She eventually got her dog under control and into the house and I came home. I wasn't hurt, and neither was my dog, but I would hate to think what if the next person is a little kid. Should I report this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pets

• Absolutely report it! Especially if that woman thinks that walking your dog on the sidewalk is your fault. That's just dumb.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes. Failure to restrain. Slap a ticket on her ass and maybe she'll think twice and make sure her dog is contained.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• For sure you should
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Definitely report it. You might be saving a little one's life.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Absolutely report it. If a dog will jump a fence to get to you, it would attack a child walking down. Call and report it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Absolutely. There's a high probability that the dog has done that before. Aggressive dogs need to be contained, and owners need to be held responsible for their dogs' lack of training.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• i would for sure. not only could that dog get hit by a car or a child be hurt like you said. i couldn't live with that news if i heard that dog did it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yep. Someone could get hurt. That may be a nice dog, but nonetheless, if your dog had been large and dog-aggressive, there could have been major problems. Perhaps a ticket will pursuade her to fix that fence...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It would depend on if the dog was just making noise, maybe it jumped over wanting to play?? I know it should be contained. I have had my dogs find a way out of our fence and visit the neighbors. He was little guy weighing 12 pounds and the other a 3 month old puppy. They called animal control on me, they could have easily walked over and talked to me and let me know there was an issue, I hadn't realized they had gotten out. I'm just saying try talking to the lady in a civilized manner prior to calling the doggie police.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• To Anon @ :42--Please READ the question. The dog was HUGE and growling at me and my small dog, and the dog's owner came out of her house and was screaming at me! I was scared of the dog and I am also disabled, I could not fight the dog or run away. If the dog had jumped on me, I would have had NO defense, not even heavy clothing since I was wearing a short sleeve T-shirt, a pair of shorts and canvas walking shoes. The only protection I had was a lightweight cane. People should not have dogs that act like that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2009