Ashamed of being overweight?

Does anyone think it's odd when very overweight women(and I don't mean anything over a size 3, I'm talking an unhealthy weight) say things about embracing themselves the way they are/not being ashamed etc?
To me not being ashamed of being obese is like not being ashamed of being dirty or doing drugs.
What about if your daughter(or son even) was overweight, would you tell them to just accept it and love it, or would try to help them achieve a healthier weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would help them overcome it. My son is overweight and we are working on that together. But I also think that he shouldn't be ashamed. Shame breeds insecurity and trouble with self esteem. Just because you look a certain way is no reason................ever to feel ashamed. Feeling ashamed about weight is probably the number one reason why there are so many people, especially teens, that have eating disorders.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• wow, how incredibly rude of you to associate being big, to being a drug addict. i'm sure everything about your body isnt perfect. and you passive-aggressively have to pick on bigger women just to feel better about your self. how very sad for you.
    MILFpunk

Answer by MILFpunk at 9:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• how is over a 3 large?? ah some of you must be sickly looking
    Anonymous

• Anon :16 She said she doesn't mean over a 3, she meant at an unhealthy weight. I agree with first PP. I'd help them overcome it. Exercise with them, eat healthy with them. I can understand where you say them being proud of being 4-6 hundred pounds is odd. It's nothing to be proud of. But I've never seen any person severely obese and proud.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 9:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• OP: I said I'm NOT talking over size 3. I'm talking about much larger women. Because I dont want comments like "just because im not a size 3 doesnt mean im fat!!!!111"
    And I've heard lots of obese people say they have a food addiction so I don't see how that's so much different from a drug addiction...both are bad for your health.
    It's beyond body image, it's a health problem.
    Anonymous

• Isn't it almost 50% of the nation is considered to be overweight? Think I heard that on Oprah lol. It's obviously a problem for alot of people, being overweight is the new norm which is unfortunate
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• There is a difference between accepting something and not being shamed of it. If any part of your lifestyle is unhealthy, I think you should make an effort to change it. However, if you're doing that, then why should you be ashamed in the meantime? No one should be ashamed of themselves because of the way they look. However, people who think that they're better than overweight people and think that looks determine self worth, SHOULD be ashamed of themselves. I'd rather be a fat at happy than skinny and mean. A lot of women make a huge effort to lose weight, but it takes time, and it's not easy. I've always been at a healthy weight but used to diet and exercise to try to be "skinnier". Now I realize I look fine, but still...I wish I could have had then, when I was like 110 lbs. the self-confidence some overweight women have.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I am not proud to be like this but I am not ashamed and I do not equate myself with being dirty or a drug addict.
    I am working on losing weight but it is very hard. I will never be thin. I accept that and move on. I will be happy to be a size 12 someday. If I don't get there, a size 20 is just fine with me.
    I don't ask people to like me. You like me or you don't. If I am happy like this and I am not bothering you for food, money or anything else than it's none of your business how someone else lives.
    jdzc820

Answer by jdzc820 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I guess I just don't get the whole big and beautiful thing (and once again I don't mean women with some extra curves or a larger frame etc, I'm talking about women with gunts and rolly knees)...it's nice to have confidence and all but I think it's just a cop-out so they don't have to admit they're unhealthy...
    Anonymous