Any ideas to get water out of my daughters ear from swimming?

jbtnailchick

Asked by jbtnailchick at 9:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Health

• I am prone to swimmers ear and the doctor told me I am suppose to pour peroxide in my ears everytime after a swim. The bubbles might force the water out.
    Anonymous

• Well when that usually happens to me I just kinda lay on the ear for a while and the water ultimately comes out.
    Dee718

Answer by Dee718 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Wear kids ear plugs and don't let her swim alot underwater.
    Anonymous

• I take my Daughter to a pediatric ENT at Emory in Atlanta (Dr. Sobol). He said for my children that DO NOT have ear tubes, use a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% white vinegar (put just a couple drops in each ear!). The alcohol makes the water evaporate. The vinegar takes away the sting of the alcohol.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I looked to see if the above recipe for ear drops is online, and it is... scroll down and read the part that say 'preventing swimmers ear'

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/childhoodinfections/a/05_swimmers_ear.htm
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I always used a couple drops of rubbing alcohol. It helps the water to evaporate.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Rubbing alcohol. Put a few drops in the ear, then have her tilt her head so that that ear is facing up (toward the ceiling) and turn the hair dryer on. The alcohol helps the water evaporate and the heat from the hair dryer just speeds it up. I used to have to do this because I got swimmers ear everytime I got in a pool and sometimes just from showering or bathing (no idea why lol). Anyway, just be careful not to burn her with the hair dryer.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2009