Should my husband drop charges against his ex-wife?

She has always been verbally abusive. Very mean and nasty person. On a few occasion in the past she has hauled off and either hit m DH or thrown something at him in anger. The other day he went over there to pick up his son. She came flying out of the house pushed her son aside, went thru the passenger window and hit him several times and left a very slight bruise. He said he was sick of her abuse and went to the police and files a report. She might have to serve jail time and a fine. Her family keep calling telling him to be a "man" !!! She is not a small women she is 6 foot tall very strong. I for one am sick of her. This is the main reason he divorced her. She was upset because she asked to borrow money and he said NO. They have not been together for 6 years. I have been in his life for 4. We dated for 2 and have been married for two. she never stops with the abuse and you never know when it will happen. Should he let it go

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• No way should he let it go! I'd press charges. That's ridiculous how she's acting! I don't know why it always seem acceptable for a woman to hit a man, but if a man hits a woman, it's an entirely different story. I would get her a$$ in as much trouble as you guys can, lol. It sounds like she deserves it and I for one wouldn't put up with that.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No he should not. If it was a man hitting a woman would that be OK. Hell no. Press charges and teach the hag a lesson. It's not OK EVER to put your hands on someone unless they are defending themselves or someone else.

Anonymous

• It doesn't matter WHO the abuser is they should never be 'let off the hook". She needs to face the consequences. Obviously she has anger management issues n top of heaven knows what else.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No he shouldn't..This might be a good way to get custudy of his son.

Answer by louise2 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• NO WAY! He should not drop the charges!! It is never OK to physically attack someone... I understand being stressed, especially about money... but that is still no excuse for her to attack him!

Good Luck to your DH!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• hell no!!! my SO has a crazy ex too && she likes to spout off at the mouth && has actually vandalized his company vehicle while it was sitting in front of MY house. That was before we moved in together...can we say "stalker?" But anyway, if she ever does anything that we can prove was her, you better believe we would press charges, just to teach her a lesson. Your DH's ex needs to learn that she can't just do as she pleases!!
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• OH yeah.... and she pushed her son out of the way to get to your DH? That is NOT good for the child to see!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Big hell no. She is abusive to your DH, who knows what she does to your SS when you're not around.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 9:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• He should press charges, file a restraining order AND seek sole custody. I agree with the other posters, if she's this abusive to a grown man you don't want your stepson around her. The hell with what her family thinks, they're probably the ones who taught her to behave this way. Good luck!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 9:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• How is it up to him to drop "charges"? Only a prosecutor can press charges-- a civilian can file a complaint-- but the prosecutor is the one that ultimately makes the decision to go forward or not.
    Anonymous