Glasses?

My son is almost 20 months old, and is getting his first pair of glasses. He apparently has really bad eye sight. How did you get your toddlers to keep them on? I'm hoping once he realizes he can see better it won't be a problem.

MommyMeli07

Asked by MommyMeli07 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Exactly like you are hoping. Once he realizes that they help him see, chances are he'll keep them on. But be prepared for them to get broken and/or lost fairly often. Especially if he is a very active boy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My DH's parents pre ordered a box of extra arms for the glasses and kept them on hand....keep in mind that was 30 years ago and they make glasses more kid friendly now. Other than that I would say positive reinforment for good glasses wearing at every corner....kind of like potty training ....maybe with a sticker chart, and verbal flatery from every angle imaginable.
    pink.toes

Answer by pink.toes at 10:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• for extremely cheap glasses, check out www.ZenniOptical.com. All you need to know is the Rx and the distance between pupils (measure with a ruler). They range in price from $8-$20... very reasonable for everyone (especially if a toddler may be breaking them frequently) Good Luck:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Not that it helps much, but my son got them at 22 months, the doctor told me to just keep putting them on him and in about 2 weeks he would start to get used to the idea and realize they were helping and would leave them on for a lot longer at a time. Sure enough she was right. Also we spent a lot but we got him the flexon lenses that can be bent in half and not break. He's had them for a year and a half and hasn't broken them yet. We also haven't lost them. Now it's time for a new prescription.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• that should say frames, not lenses. I don't think there is any such thing as flexible lenses :)
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We got a pretty good deal on his glasses. Ended up only paying 20 dollars. Our insurance covered the rest. His prescription is +6.2. I'm not exactly sure HOW bad, but both the doc's I talked to said it was pretty bad.
    MommyMeli07

Answer by MommyMeli07 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• That is a nice deal! We didn't have our son on vision insurance and were 8 months away from the time of year when Dh could change his benefits. We ended up paying over $300 for the glasses plus we've had to change the lenses 3 times which was probably another $100 each time. I don't know what the prescriptions really mean either. I tried looking it up one time but didn't find anything useful. My sons is +4.5 with bifocals that say "add +3" so I assume that means the bifocal part is +7.5. I got the impression his was bad when it was just 4.5 before they added the bifocals, but I don't know if it really was.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Hi again, I thought I would share I just found this little bit of information:

A person with a prescription of +2.0 diopters or less has mild hyperopia. A degree of hyperopia of between +2.0 and +4.0 diopters considered moderate. Someone who is severely farsighted will need a prescription of +4.0 diopters or higher.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• So Drake is severely far sighted? That blows my mind, because I really thought he could see. He is develpomentally ahead and will look at books all day long pointing out things he knows. I just feel like I should have known something.
    MommyMeli07

Answer by MommyMeli07 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• That is interesting. When I was looking up that information I came across someone else who was asking about if her son's diagnosis was wrong because he could point out even the tiniest pictures in books. My son also would do that, now I'm curious whether he could as easily point out the biggest pictures. Like if the small pictures seem to be far away so he can focus on them better? I also had no clue until my son suddenly became cross eyed.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009