Just a few cat questions....

1. If a cat gets impregnanted, how long does she stay in heat afterwards?
2. Would there be a reason (other than the cat is in heat) that a neutered male cat would want to try and reproduce with an unspayed female?
3. If a cat is pregnant, would she attract other males?
4. How long does the first heat typically take?

The reason I ask, is that we're not sure if my cat is pregnant. She got out, but we never saw any indication that she was in heat. We still don't see any indication that she's in heat, except that our male cat WANTS her. He's neutered, so no chance of kittens here. My female was a runt, so her vet didn't want to spay her till she came into heat. We've been looking for signs, but there's no physical signs or behavioral changes. She was gone for a few days, so we're not sure if she went through her whole heat process then or not. We've only ever had male cats, so this is very new to us.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pets

• your cat will go into heat around 4 months old for the first time. they stay pg for about 60 days umm you can looks for physical signs like pink nipples vomiting increase affection towards you and others eating more...sounds just like a real women but thats what i found online for you. good luck we had 3 barn cats and now we have 17 cats all together thank goodness they stay outside..
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I know when cats normally go into heat, it's between 4 and 12 months. They can be older if they're not around a tomcat, and she wasn't till she got out. I know what signs of pregnancy are. I just can't seem to find the answers to the questions that I asked online so I thought others may know. Thank you for your response!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We had a male cat that was neutered and he kept all of the tomcats away from the neighborhood girl cats. They were all his. ; ) Once that cat of ours passed away....there was a serious rash of kittens in the neighborhood.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The cat will complete her heat cycle whether she is pregnant or not. She needs to be isolated for the entire heat cycle if you're not going to have her spayed. Heat will continue even after she has copulated with a male. That's why it's possible for a female cat to have a litter of kittens with 2, 3, or 4 different fathers. I just wanted to add that along with all the other info you were given.
    Anonymous