What is your method of discipline and does it work?

How do you discipline and for what behaviors? Do you think it actually works and prevents future occurances or do you too need a new method?

OrganizedandFit

Asked by OrganizedandFit at 10:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I spank, time out and TEACH better behaviors.

I set up guidelines of what I expect, I try to teach them how to behave, when they disobey I usually spank and place in time out for a few minutes. When I go to get them out of time out I talk to them about why they got a spanking and timeout...and how they could do better....I tell them I love them and expect them to do better next time.

it works, my kids are very well behaved and they KNOW that what I say, I mean. I never spew random pointless commands or threats....I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I spank, and do time outs. The first time I tell my son that this behavior is unacceptable and if it's repeated "abc and d" will be done about it. That way he knows the consequence that he will receive. If he repeats the behavior, then he gets the consequence without any discussion.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I spank && do time-outs as well. I will tell him to stop what he's doing, why he needs to stop, && what he can do instead of what he is doing. I also explain to him what will happen if he doesn' t do what I said.

ex. Tyce get down, we don't climb on the couch, you might fall && hurt yourself. Why don't you go get such && such out of your room to play with.

I ask him once, then begin to count to 3. He knows that if I get to 3 he will either get a spanking or a time-out. I usually don't get past 2.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• In the past, I used yelling, lectures, time-outs, all sorts of stuff. I've found the old saying is true - consistency is king. WIthout it, nothing works. With it, just about anything works. I now try to use the "1,2,3 Magic" method - which involves 2 very calm warnings and 1 final, very calm, time out. I've noticed that it really is magic - when I am calm, she obeys - quickly, easily, and almost happily. When I lose it, it becomes a battle.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We spank and do time-outs. We don't really spank anymore, because the time-out thing is way more effective for our DD.
    mrsmilfy

Answer by mrsmilfy at 1:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• A combo of child training and attachment parenting. I am always with my children and involved with what they are doing. We live life together. In that situation I am able to see behaviors that need to be changed and modify them with training. Training does involve spanking, but not a crazy woman slinging a belt while yelling and the child is screaming. That is torturous abuse. I have a group here where we encourage this type parenting if you'd like to check it out and get some tips. Blessings!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have a saying kids will be kids. I do however have a limit to that. You need to choose your battles. I have a 3 year old and we do timeouts. I don't like the hitting thing as I have seen that children who get spanked then turn and hit others. I have taught my daughter we don't hit. Mommy and Daddy don't hit and neither should she. I count to 2 and if she hasn't stopped what she is doing she gets timeout. As for if she does it again...Of course she does, she is 3. Kids like to push limits. Stay consistant and she will eventually get it. We didn't learn to do things the first time. We forget. Kids' minds are even shorter spans than ours. Consistancy and timeout has worked for us.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 5:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I don't like the hitting thing as I have seen that children who get spanked then turn and hit others.

My children would never hit, and spanking can be done wrong and not be effective.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Natural consequences and some creative discipline. Spanking is completely off the table in my family and extended family. For arguing we use the energy drain method. "Wow, you have a lot of energy to argue, but it is really draining mommy. Now I don't have the energy to the pinecones up off the walkway, so you are going to have to do that." You keep upping it. If she were older it would be folding laundry or emptying dishwasher in addition to normal chores. If she drops a toy instead of handling it properly, and it breaks that is a natural consequence and I don't add to it. I also let her choose a lot. "You may choose to stop running or go to time out" and she will say "I choose to stop running". WHen she doesn't she sees she chose the consequence.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Kara q: I spanked one time and he started hitting his brother. My husband did once too and the next day he said "daddy, want a spanking?" He also spanked his brother the next day. So, it's off limits to spank here too. I'm surprised at how many people still spank. I know discipline is hard- no doubt, but just surprised at the old school spanking. But, I get it, I mean I tried after all, didn't work though.
    Starbucks123

Answer by Starbucks123 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009