weird situation...

i just got an email from my FIL saying that a bill collector called my MIL's cell phone looking for my mother. my mother lives at least 18 hours away from them, has never met them, and doesn't even know their phone numbers. its not even programmed in my cell b/c i just found out their new cell numbers. is there a way that somehow if a company did a search and my name came up as her daughter, and their name came up as my in laws that they would call them? i mean this makes no sense whatsoever, my mom isn't and has never been the type to give out a diff phone number, and the chances of it being an accident, very slim. so anyone work for collections agencies or know how this could have happened? i'm so thrown right now and kinda annoyed w/the way my FIL phrased things.

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 10:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I had gotten calls for a neighbour of mine. They were asking me to go and tell him that they desperately needed to get into contact with him. It really seemed weird. These people had just moved in and I didn't know them at all. I felt really uncomfortable approaching them about this. So I never did and told the caller to stop calling me because I wouldn't do what they were asking.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Bill collectors are getting over zealous. my mortgage company called my FIL's house. My mortgage is in my maiden name. My husband is not on it at all. They broke many privacy laws by calling my husband. Then off of his credit report they got his parents phone number. I finally found an email to the VP of the mortgage company. he was very nice & understanding. The guy that had been calling, took a leave of absence.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I've had what the previous poster said happen too. You can go onto whitepages.com & find neighbors. They told my elderly neighbor that it was an emergency.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The people that had my last phone number before it was reassigned to us apparently left the area owing money to everybody. I kept getting phone calls from bill collectors wanting their money, and some of them refused to believe I wasn't the wife of that family. The end came when a particularly abusive one called and I hit the button for speaker phone. My husband listened to a couple of minutes of this, hung up on the bill collector and instantly called the phone company and got our number changed. He said there was no way I had to listen to that sort of abuse in my own home! I have never had people call my relatives, friends or family, or call me looking for others.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I forgot to mention that if you tell them not to call the number again, then it becomes illegal for them to do so. You can then file a complaint with the phone company.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I had a bill collector ERRONEOUSLY call me...looking for my SIL who has the same first (and last) name as me, but is spelled differently! She wasn't in trouble, but she was the co-signer on a loan that one of her adult children defaulted on!

It took A LOT of proving I was not her, and my children are not her children! But they finally figured it out and stopped calling.

I later discovered that bill collectors have COMPLETE ACCESS to published and unpublished phone numbers, cell phones, employer names, addresses and phone numbers, and by law, companies have to disclose the information requested!

People think they can "walk away" from their debts when they move, change phone numbers, get a new job, etc., but via your social security number bill collectors will EVENTUALLY find you!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009