FBI Joins Search for Missing Washington State Girl......10yrs old, last seen walking home....

Lindsey Baum was last seen walking home from a friend's house about six blocks from her own home in the small town of McCleary.

I know there are many of you that say you refuse to llive in fear and you let your kids do the things you did as a kid. I don't. My kids do not walk the nieghborhood, they don't spend the night at friends houses I haven't known for years. Could something happen right under my nose. Yes. Do I lessen the chances of something happeningby taking these measures...I like to think so.

Does anyone else place more restrictions on thier kids wandering then tthay had because the way the world is now?

I feel SO bad for this mom, but there is part of me that wants to shake her and say"She was ONLY 10 yrs old, why was she walking 6 blocks ALONE!!!!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529419,00.html?test=latestnews
    Anonymous

• I know i feel the same way, i have a 8 year old and i get terrified tjust to think in leaving her walk half a block alone. It is horrible to live like this but there are so many crazy peopple out there.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I will not allow my son to be outside by himself unsupervised. I wish he could like I did when I was little but I can't take chances because it's a crazy world we live in now.
    Anonymous

• I'm grateful nothing I had the mother I did. I was so embarrased that my mother insisted on meeting my friends parents and talking with them for a while before she'd let me spend the night. I was mortified that she wouldn't let my friends and me wander the malls at 12 years old by ourselves. I was annoyed in high school that I had a 1030 curfew and couldn't ride in cars with my friends. I am thankful as an adult that she didn't and now understand why. I was safe and nothing horrible ever happened to me. I feel awful for this mother. I wish there were more education to the public of hazards for children. If there were maybe this family wouldn't be torn apart right now.
    Anonymous

• nothing=now sorry its the day of typos over here
    Anonymous

• To anon 10:04, your mom being that strict had nothing to do with you being safe. My parents took all those precautions too, and I still found a way to walk around downtown Houston at age 15, drunk off Strawberry Hill and swooning over skater boys. I still went to church every Sunday morning, but sometimes I was still trippin from the night before. All these rules and restrictions and cloistering away the we as a society do to our kids are for naught: if God wants you, he will take you, and if it isn't your time, it just isn't.
    Anonymous

So you're saying what? That we shouldn't do anything to try to protect our kids, or ourselves for that matter, because we're going to die anyway?

Trasee

Answer by Trasee at 12:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Adam Walsh was abducted and murdered on July 27, 1981.  

On the afternoon of December 4, 1972, Steven Stayner was approached by "Reverend" Kenneth Parnell.  He was missing until March 1, 1980.

It's not a new thing.  It's been going on for decades.

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 12:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• McCleary, WA is a TINY town. I grew up in a neighboring town and me and my friends WERE safe to run around town on our own all summer. It is one of those places where everyone knows everyone and the cops are the parents of your classmates so they were always looking out for you too. Its scary to think this happened near my childhood home. It has always been so safe.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• By blaming the mother for allowing her daughter to walk to a friend's house we are separating ourselves from the sitionation and trying to convince ourselves that it couldn't happen to us or to our children. The fact is that unless you lock your kids in a room with no windows and sit vigil outside the door of their "cell" you can't 100% prevent certain things from happening. If there is a predator looking for a child....that is unthinkably scary for all of us. I do let my child walk up the street to his friend's home...I do let my child ride his bike around the block....I do let my child get off the school bus and walk home from the bus stop....I do let my child visit friends and attend classmate's birthday parties.....I also look at each situation realistically and I do whatever I can to protect my child while still living our lives. We hear more about these things now because of the information age we live in, nothing new.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2009