Anyone Been Through Family Fire with Total Loss?

A week ago, our home burned down (we were renting). Wonderfully, everyone in the family is o.k. (except for our missing cat). It's a big adventure, a crazy new start, and a ton or work. If anyone has been through this or helped someone get through something like this, I'm open to any suggestions for getting restarted, helping our kids maintain some sense of "normalcy," or anything else you can think of that we probably aren't considering during this time!

TeaAnderson

Asked by TeaAnderson at 11:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I live in louisiana and after the hurriane rita hit we were living on a generator.. in the middle of the night it caught fire and caught the house on fire. (it was outside.) my 2 year old godson died. we stayed with relatives and our thriety stores help us out with food and cloths and churches help us. as far as finding normalcy let your kids play with firends go places... just to keep thier mines off of it.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I haven't been through it, so I don't have much advice. However, I'd like to say I'm sorry for your losses! I can't imagine that happening. I wish you and your family the best and hope things are able to return to normal as soon as possible. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• haven't gone through a fire, but went through katrina and lost most everything we owned. had to stay with friends for 3 months until we found a new place to live.
    as far as getting back to normal, keep on doing whatever you did before hand. if the kids played sports, find someone you can borrow the equipment from until you can get new stuff etc...alot of churches etc have programs to help families in need. don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it, it doesn't make you bad, or a person who insists on living off of others, it makes you a person who realizes you need help and is doing what you can to take care of your family
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I havent been through a house fire but our storage usit burned to the ground with everything that we had in it, It was hard to replace the personal items like the old family photo's the pieces that we had that was in my husbands ggg uncles home when he was a congressman during the prohabition and things like that. Our hard drive had some stuff still in tact like my family tree prog but I had lost hard copy files for clients. Now I back everything on memory sticks and keep them in a grab n go box along with copies of birth certificates, med records, etc..... Hugs to you
    jjross

Answer by jjross at 11:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes and I lost the most precious thing to me my 16 year old daughter this happened 18 months ago today.I know it seems like u lost everything but if u still have your family u have everything.Material things can be replaced it takes time but it will happen good luck
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009