i was wondering how u paid for your fertility treatments?

i have insurance but it dont cover fertility treatments.

kathys4405

Asked by kathys4405 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• My boss and his wife had to do that and they call their little girl their credit card baby so i'm presuming that's how they did it.
    Anonymous

• most people who go through extensive treatment (multiple IVFS) use their employers insurance I have found. I use to wonder how in the heck can someone afford 3 -5 rounds of IVF AFTER all other medications, iuis, tests and all. Aetna and Cigna are some insurance carriers that cover fertility . I looked up plans for the individual insurance today and it said nothing about fertility coverage so I was wondering if it was for "group" insurers?
    Anonymous

• another thing is that some insurance covers basic things that can help. For instance if you needed an MRI or a lap. Your doc could write that as endo. There are lots of reasons for mris and laps other than fertility. So you could use your current insurance for that.
    Anonymous

• My insurance paid for testing (I paid co-pays at every appointment of course, and there were lots of appointments). My insurance also covered a small amount of IUI and monitoring, but no fertility drugs were covered (those can cost from $50 to $5,000 or more per cycle). I paid for all of my appointments and treatments from my checking or savings account. because I ordered my drugs from a fertility pharmacy, I put those on a credit card and paid the credit card bill when it came in each month. On my last cycle I took out a medical loan to pay for my fertility drugs, and I paid that off in monthly installments.
    Anonymous

• If you don't have the money to pay for everything up front, but you can afford monthly payments you might check into different loan options. If you are seeing a fertility specialist they may have a finance office that can help (they can also help you determine how much you may need for the specific treatments you will be using). There are also credit cards that are specifically for medical care costs; sometimes these have better rates and payment terms than regular credit cards.
    Anonymous