Addicted to junk food

Could this be a medical condition? I can't quit eating junk like people can't quit smoking cigarettes. It's horrible and I'm sick of myself because if it...is it something that a doctor can help with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• you'll have to do something extreme one weekend. This worked for a friend of mine who was addicted to junk. You cannot do it little by little, like smoking cigarettes, or like drinking, you must QUIT COLD TURKEY!

Totally empty out your cupboards. Get anything & everything that is junk related & get it out of site. Remember this, out of site out of mind. Now, begin filling your kitchen w/ ONLY healthy options. Eat as much of it as you want . The same brain that started your junk addiction, can start your health addiction. You just have to re-train it, & stay on track.

here is a good link if you would like some recipes, & a recommendation of what to buy at the grocery store when trying to go healthy.

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2008/11/eat-healthy-all-week-shopping-list

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i freaking wish... i am a junk food addict i litteraly survive on it. sometimes i think even my baby inside of me gets a sugar rush..
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Stop buying it and bringing it into your house and it won't be there for you to get!
    Anonymous

• Sugar is very addicting. Once you cut it out, though, you will be suprised at how fast your cravings for it drops.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Carb addiction is very real and junk food is full of empty carbs! I don't think there's a magic pill out there that will help though. Only YOU can do it. Like the ANON above said, stop buying it and bringing it home! If you have to, make a grocery list and give it to a trusted friend or family member to do your shopping for you so you have less temptation in the store.

There ARE "diet" plans that can help you break the addiction. They change the way you eat by cutting out empty starchy foods like junk food, breads, rice, pasta & potatoes. You fill up on lean meats, low fat dairy, healthy sources of carbs like whole grain foods (think All Bran, barley, etc), and steamed or fresh veggies. The first few days are hard because your body DOES go through a "withdrawal stage" during which your cravings are almost overwhelming & you may have physical symptoms like headaches or sweats but once you're through that you'll be fine.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2009