Does anyone's child have a G Tube?

My child's Dr counsulted with me today on referring us to a GI doc in regards to a G Tube (feeding tube) to be placed for feedings. My Son is 8 and was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy when he was 2. We have been trying to get 10 to 15 lbs on him for the last 6 months and it's just not working. With SMA the voluntary muscules that control head and neck control, crawling, walking and swallowing are affected. So he's having a tough time chewing up and swallowing his food. We can be at the dinner table sometimes for hours trying to get him to eat. He is sending us to a prominent GI doc here in our area and wants to get it in asap. I want to know if anyone's child has a G Tube and what it's like. He said no one will know he has it and I can do the feeding during the night while he's asleep. I did research on it but would like some personal experiences. Any comments would truly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wish I knew more but my best friend's son had one. I will keep you and your son in my prayers.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• What about a liquid nutritional supplement like pediasure, ensure, etc?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Did you try a website---I am sure other parents have started something if you look on the internet...just try googling it. There are probably support groups on line. (It sounds like a good idea for your child as opposed to him struggling to eat for hours at a time.....) Good luck with the research and the decision!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2009