How would you handle this behavior from a one year old?

My just-turned-one year old daughter hits and scratches and pinches when she gets frustrated about something, like if you tell her "no" or something of the like. I know she isn't doing it because she knows it's mean, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle it when she does this, without getting angry at her. Suggestions?

sophiafarris

Asked by sophiafarris at 11:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a two yr old and one yr old. so i understand what ur saying. ive learned that when the youngest starts i warn her first and then put her in timeout if she keeps it up. no it dont last long bc she wants to go, go, go and she gets mad. but it still gives a couple of min to cool down without being mad. it took a week of doing this for her to finally understand but shes basically stopped now. only once in a blue moon does she do it again. Hope this helps
    2bbygrlz

Answer by 2bbygrlz at 12:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• this is what i do, i let them cool down yes them cause i have 3 kids and two r only 14 months apart. after that i tell them to use your words not your hands. and sometimes i learned anger is sign of something else for ex. my son was outraged over something so small so i sat him down and it the promblem was another issue of the past.
    CRYSTAL198424

Answer by CRYSTAL198424 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• tell her no and grab her hand and hold it I had to do this with my son and I know this sounds meean but when he got to the point wheere he would do it anyway I would pinch back or bite back it works no you dont want to hurt them but it does work it broke his heart but I explained to him thats what happens when your mean to someonee they wont just let be a bully
    aidensmom570

Answer by aidensmom570 at 8:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• When my son did this, I gently held his hand, told him no, thank you, we don't scratch, pinch, etc. Then I tried to understand why he was frustrated and reflected back to him that I understood his frustration. If he continued, I would step away from him so that he could not continue this behavior (while telling him by my action that his behavior makes mommy go away, which is NOT what children want). This is also the age to start re-directing that behavior to something inanimate, like giving a pillow to punch, a toy to scratch or throw - something where he could get this frustration out until he learned self-control. Of course, it took numerous repeated efforts of this same response from me to get through to him, but that's why, whatever you choose, consistency is KEY. Their minds are not developed enough to capture the cause/effect after one experience, they need to have the same results consistently for it to stick.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2009