What did you have?

Did anyone have IV pain meds when in labor? My doctor says this is an alternative to an epidural or completely natural birth. I'm getting closer and closer (almost 7 months now) and I don't know what route to take! I'm scared of the pain, but I'm also scared because of the horror stories I've heard from women who have had epidurals! I've been highly considering the pain meds to relax me and take the edge off, but wanted some opinions first!!! Any response would be greatly appreciated!

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The IV meds didn't help me at all. My contractions were stacked (no break between them) so I had to lay still through the labor pains while getting an epidural (which I was unsure of at first). For me, the pain was WAAAAY more than I could deal with and still enjoy my labor process. I wasn't sure about the epi at first, but am very happy with my decision to get one. Don't let the horror stories scare you- most epidurals (like most routine hospital procedures) go off without a hitch. Good Luck:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• With my 1st i did iv pain meds. They wore off by the time it was time 2 push so it really didnt do much.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I wanted a natural birth, but ended up getting an induction and tried to bare it through the pain. I ended up getting the epidural even though I vowed I would never get one (I heard the stories plus I was terrified of needles). The procedure itself was absolutely painless compared to the induced contractions and it made my delivery go fantastic. The only problem I suffer now from it is if I am lifting heavy objects such as my four month old son for more than a short period of time, there is soreness from the actual injections site. I know I won't have one again for the next child, but that is my choice. I did not get the IV meds because everyone I've ever asked said it made them feel loopy and drunk, and I didn't want my birth experience to be hindered like that.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I had a c section so I had a spinal block. But it was amazing, it went off without a hitch.

To the pp my dr said you can have a little pain or even tingling feeling at the injection site for several months up to a year which I did but it only lasted 6 months and then it was gone.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i had an epideral. i had three kids vaginally and one thing i can tell u is that most of it is mental. With my first child i was terrified, so that was the worst delivery , 2nd i knew what to expect but because i knew the pain was going to be part of it i was scarred again that went bad, so for the third i had it mad in my mind that i woulnt panic and every time i got an contraction i would put my mind somewhere else and breath goood to that helped a hell alot also.
    CRYSTAL198424

Answer by CRYSTAL198424 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2009